Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Name this fish?
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blueyes
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)17:27    Post subject: Name this fish? Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me the name of this fish.

Discription

looks like a snake sits at bottom of the tank, and colour is black and orange and tail is like a fish.

and do you know how big they can grow to ?

Thanks for any help

Confused
Max
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is it now?
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuhli loach perhaps...

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/gkuhli.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bohica
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a Red Snakehead to me. Which way does the color pattern run? If it is indeed a Red Snakehead They are truly voracious predators that will generally eat only live food. The largest example of Channa Asiatica that I have seen with my own eyes was 42" long and about as big around as a half gallon milk carton. When they reach 8 or 9" they lose the black orange pattern and become off white with black blotches. The 42" example I noted was kept alone in a 425 gallon glass pond in a petstore. It was fed large feeder goldfish and the occasional hamster.

Seeing that monster explode on a hamster swimming across the pond was an awe inspiring sight that was definately not for the weak at heart. A passerby once commented on the cruelty of the act. He was informed that in it's home range the Red Snakehead fed regularly on swimming rodents and birds. These guys are NOT aquarium fish.

Please note that the above ID is merely a guess based on the description you gave and is worth exactly what you paid for it. It could be a totally harmless Kuhli! Very Happy

Bo
McSamster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blueyes; I would also guess at a snakehead, and if it is, then my prayers are with you, god help you try and find the beast a home, it isn't going to be easy!
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really not much of a description. What is the size and other attributes? Suggesting that it's a snakehead a little early in the game.

My suggestion for you is look in the gallery here:
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery.html

You may also want to do an internet search or http://images.google.com for what was suggested here. Another fish to look into might be clown loaches. Let us know what you find.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snakehead? Nah.
Try:
Polypterus ornatissimus.
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK lets start narrowing it down. Does this fish look anything like these>?

http://community.webshots.com/photo/85911743/87080143sMiIXI

If yes, its some kind of snakehead.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: