Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Fish line up.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trill the man
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)12:41    Post subject: Fish line up. Reply with quote

I am thinking about a selection of fish to setup my tank with. At the moment, I am considering adding this line up to my 20g long:-

2 Pearl Gouramis
6 Cherry Barbs } I may change this to 6 Harlequins and 3 Cory cats,
8 Harlequin Rasboras} though is it possible to mix cories and Kuhlis?
5 Kuhli Loaches
1 Bristlenose Plec'

The tank will get weekly water changes and frequent maintenance

Thanks, Phil Wink

P.S. The Pearl Gouramis are what I really wish to keep, the fish line up will more or less be built around them.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with one pearl and build around that. A 20g long doesn't really have enough room for territories for two large gouramis. Then your 8 harliquins, 5 kuhlis and bristlenose plec will be fine. You could even add some cories to the bottom if you'd like. 3-4 would be fine except for the Emeral cories which get too large.
Trill the man
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmm, I thought that most gouramis had to be kept in pairs...how about a pair of thick lipped gouramis? If not, I am open to suggestions for a central fish as a focal point in my tank.
It will be mainly bogwood with bucnhes of ambulia in between, sand substrate.

thanks, phil Wink
PharCyde
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't thick lipped gouramis bigger than Pearl Gouramis?

What about Dwarf or Honey Gouramis?
Trill the man
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)5:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read that thick lipped gouramis usually grow about an inch smaller than pearls..thats the info I've got from the internet. I was thinking about dwarfs, only the female isn't very interesting, and considering I will have just one pair, I was hoping for a nice pair of some fish (other than a live bearer ie swordtails) as a focal point. Hney dwarfs are a little too small as a focal fish IMO.
Thank you, and again, I am open to suggestions.

Phil Wink

P.S. How heavy/light are ghost shrimp on the bioload...I am wanting a good clean up crew to keep my tank nice and clean, after the troubles I've experinaced in the past Confused .
JewelsRCute
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)15:15    Post subject: fff Reply with quote

if you want a pair go with pink kissing gourami or green kissing gourami, very cute but get big. I get gourami and then trade them in when they get too big for my tank and get a different gourami, that way I always am learning about new fish. Male dwarf gouramis are very pretty and stay small. I had one and he did great but didn't live very long.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote against kissing gouramis. IMHO and IME, working at the zoo and pet store for over two years, very few places WANT fish that get that large as donations. Skip the kissers. They get too large, and in my opinion, having a fish for a certain time, then returning it when the owner deems it too large (often way after stunting has begun) is fish-having, NOT fish-keeping. We need to keep in mind that these are living animals, not a fad.

I think a single pearl gourami would be best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Trill the man
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)5:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, cheers. Is it perfectly okay to have a single pearl? Won't it get lonely? Or are they okay on their own? I don't wish to have an unhappy fish Smile .

Phil Wink
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: