Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What fish can live at room temperature?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lillian
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have kept Bettas in 1 gallon containers very successfully for years. I think that would be a great option for your desk. I just do a complete water change weekly. Also, keep the container out of the sun so the temp stay constant. Good luck!
JewelsRCute
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Shocked Those bettas are beautiful, I like them with the shorter fins.

ya those one gallon tanks at wal-mart with the light work really well, they have 5 gallons too with everything. You know you can get food, net, filter, hood, light, and a ten gallon tank plus care booklett from wal-mart for 40. Which really isn't bad considering a filter is usually around 20 bucks by itself. then you could have a nice community tank of tetras and such, you just have to buy a cheap heater which are only about 10. You can have a great setup for about 60 bucks plus cost of fish... I know you can't afford much so a betta could work in a bowl. But they usually just sit there and arent very active. You could try the betta in the vase thing but you would have to ask someone else how that works.
tropical laura
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)4:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get heaters or something that keeps the water warm for a 1 or 2 gallon? Also What is the lowest temperature bettas can stand?

Laura
Qued
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

to Laura

I think such small heaters is a problem. Here in Latvia the smallest heater available is 5 watt without thermostat. I guess in other countries where petshop business is more developed (like USA) the choice is wider.
Some time ago in this forum people adviced to use heating pads for small aquariums (or bowls), but here even heating pads are not available. Sad
About the lowest temperature question you can search this forum or read http://www.bettatalk.com/water.htm.
Jack
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternaitive to a bowl or a glass starter tank would be a plastic tank, much cheaper.

Paradise fish need lots of room, 15G at the least. Noamethefish would be upset.

The Funky Jack Homepage
Ignorance - My Band
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still curious.....I've heard that paradisefish are coldwater, but also like tropical water....what is the best for the fish?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Choice Words
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.30(Sat)5:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

The research I've done on them is basically that they naturally live in colder waters than other tropical fish. They can survive in waters down to 60F. But they can also live sucessfully in regular tropical temp waters in the aquarium with no apparent ill effects.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: