Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What fish can live at room temperature?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barney
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)9:06    Post subject: What fish can live at room temperature? Reply with quote

Hey, I was thinking of buying a large'ish fish bowl for my office. I am falling deeply in love with fish, but really can't afford to get a tropical tank, with heater, filter, etc. so I just wanted a large bowl on my desk in my office. I was wondering are Goldfish the only type of fish that can live without a heater at room temperature? I live in England. My office is around 20c or 70f during the day. I'd be greatful if people could post some names of other fish I could have Smile
Thanks
Alex
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Cloud Mountain Minnows do well at room temperature. I have a tank without a heater on my desk with they are doing well.

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/gtanictis.html

Alex
Dylacat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my friends office, they have bettas in a cpl of different bowls. I've personally never kept them, but they seem to be doing great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is really no wonderful fish for a bowl, even a betta. Bettas live in large quantities of water, but seasonally they are forced to endure much smaller quarters, puddles and small pools are not the worst of it. This ability has been taken advantage of too many times to count. Rice paddies............ oh well. My betta loves being in my 29 gallon. Very Happy

Goldies get much too large for a bowl, and fish like WCMMs school, so they must be kept in groups and tank size must accommodate their need for space.

Sorry if this sounded harsh, but......better a slightly put-off would-be enthusiast than dead fish. Smile

There are kits you can buy, like a 5 or 7 gallon a good size for a desk at work, that come with a filter and the basics. Those are much nicer than bowls. I was considering getting one. Smile
wetmanNY
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep a Paradisefish in a wide flat drum-shape salad bowl. It's about a gallon and a half. A glass dinner plate makes a lid, because he jumps sometimes to advertise his presence.

He's alone-- the way he likes it. And the unheated bowl is filled chockful of plant cuttings, so that he feels protected from above and quite secret. He gets a 50+% water change every week, and a light diet that includes blackworms every few days and a "fast day" too.

I would never put him in a wide, empty 10 gallon tank, heated, brightly-lit, with strong filtration but without plants in a mixed company of fishes. But I'd put him in a 100-gallon tank if it were a tangled jungle of plant growth.

Lots of empty swimming space and "buddies" for company doesn't suit every fish. I agree it's what I would be wanting if I were a fish. But, then, I wouldn't be a Paradisefish...

On September mornings before the landlord's heat-season begins, his water can drop to 60oF.

This is a great fish for a small unheated water tank.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skysong,

The reason why bettas do so well in bowls isn't really because they are able to survive the dry season of the rice paddys, it's because rice paddies have little to no current in their waters. Also, added to that the bettas you find in stores are nothing like the bettas who live out in the rice paddies. For years they have been bred for their long finnage and that is their downfall. They look beautiful but currents can exhaust them and even kill them. I wish I could show you a picture Pandora had posted showing how large the rice paddies are to give you an idea, but like I said none of these bettas are remotely like their wild brethren. So, in a nutshell, keeping bettas in an enclosure with very little current is much safer for them than say a 55g with 2 hang on the back filters making all kinds of current that will drag the poor fish to the bottom of the tank.

If you get a 2g bowl with a little gravel in the bottom and a small plant inside and feed sparing ly and do waterchanges every other day a betta will live very happily and most likely will build you many bubblenests.

Even my 5g hex tank had too much current for a betta.
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barney, welcome.
Before you spend any money on a "bowl", you might look into a small starter tank kit, such as a 1 or two gallon. Walmart sells a 2 gallon hex tank with hood, ugf filter, airpump and airstone, for $20 US. I keep one of these two gallon tanks on my desk at work with a male betta and three zebra danios. I don't think you guys have Walmart, but maybe something similar...I know those "goldfish" bowls can be a quite pricey here, and you might be able to get a nicer setup if you think in the direction of a small starter tank...

ps, wetman, love the paradise fish idea. People around here get so used to thinking down a very narrow path that it's good to see someone step off that path and present something different to think about.

Last edited by Tommy on 2003.08.25(Mon)22:55; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good example of a wild betta. The wild ones really look NOTHING like the breed strain. One of the LFSs out here generally carry 2-3 "wild" species. They are nice looking, but I could never bring myself to own them after having the breed strains.

http://www.atisonbetta.com/picture/gallery14/betta-pi-male.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irons wrote:
They are nice looking, but I could never bring myself to own them after having the breed strains.

Oh, pick the meekest looking wild... Wink
http://www.atisonbetta.com/gallery12.asp
try this one from the same site! Smile
Will pit wild fish in natural form against man made any day!
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
Max
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those wild betas look much better than the bred ones I don't know why people would want to change somthing that already looks that good.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: