Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
future problem
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gi4get
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)9:05    Post subject: future problem Reply with quote

In one week I will be moving back to college. Once there, I will buy, set up and cycle a 20 gal tank. When it's cycled I plan on buying a school of tiger barbs and a school of cardinal tetras. My potential problem is this; we have a week off for thanksgiving and a month off for Christmas/winter and I live in a dorm. I'm asking around about this now so I can prepare. I certainly can't move the tank so what options do I have? Would an automatic feeder work for a whole month? What about water changes and quality? Should I hire a babysitter Wink ? I also have a betta who will probably stay in his solitary tank. For these breaks, I'll just take him home Very Happy
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off I have to point out that a 20g does not have space for both a school of tigers and a school of cardinals. You will have to choose one or the other.

As long as you do a decent sized waterchange before you leave and the day you come back, set the auto feeder to feed really sparingly, and set the lights on timers you should be OK. I would also put the plugs onto a surge protector/battery pack like they use for computers so in case of a blackout your fish have a better chance of survival.

HTH
gi4get
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize the space limitations and am still trying to make my choice Smile. Any other suggestions for the month long vacation?
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)21:02    Post subject: heat? Reply with quote

Find out if the heat will be left on, many dorms turn it off during break.
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately get somebody to check in at least once a week or so: imagine what if the auto feeder malfunctioned or it leaked or something.
gi4get
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all of your help. Just as an update...I've decided to talk to the school and work something out. I think if they know the lives of twenty fish or so are in their hands they'll be willing to compromise Confused. If not, I'll hire a fishiesitter and give them a crash course on aquatic life. As of today, I have five days until I move back to college Very Happy. I've spent most of today cleaning/rinsing out a cooler to transport my betta and two guppies. They have no idea what's coming Wink
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't think that school officials will really be bothered if twenty or so fish die at their school. They're not running a pet store, after all, but a place for humans to learn.

Find out about the heat situation of breaks. And if they allow students to remain on grounds during the breaks. Otherwise you may be best off without setting up that size of a tank to break it down every six months...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
gi4get
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)6:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize they're not running a pet store. My college is a small (1,200 total people) and while they're not concerned about fish, they are concerned about the happiness and welfare of their students. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Don't worry, you didn't burst my bubble Smile
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: