Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
ICH! Help...how many days do you treat?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugzycat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wetman, I did not move the neons back up to my 30 gal. Wink Just feel sorry for them that I have to keep treating them with that awful blue stuff. Silly, I know. Embarassed I did go have a long talk with my local fish store guy. He was very informative and said if I had anymore questions and problems to call or stop by. He said the 30 gal should definately be treated as I already knew. He did give my some stuff called aquara-sol (sp?). Said it wasn't near as strong as the other blue medicine, but I could give it a try in the big tank as it will not stain it. He said he mainly uses it for a preventitive medicine. Said to use it for 5-7 days then change the water and vacuum. He seem pretty trustworthy and told me right out it is not as strong as the other medicines. I feel so much better knowing I am treating my babies. I just did not feel right about not medicating them. My hubby had no arguments about giving this medicine a try. Hopefully it will prevent any more break outs. Treated my 10 gal with the wicked blue again today as the tank is already stained. They seem to all be fine except on cherry barb is hiding a lot. Probably not a good sign, but like the lfs said the ich WILL kill them if they are not treated. So there's not much choice. You have been very informative and I appreciate it very much!!!! Keep your fingers crossed for me. I 'll let you know how things turn out. Thanks a bunch! Nice website by the way! ~Nancy~
bugzycat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)17:17    Post subject: UPDATE..... Reply with quote

Well, here's an update in anyone is interested. It's not good Crying or Very sad In my ten gallon there were originally 4 cherry barbs 2 red/blue neons and 3 black neons, 2 platies and a very small pleco. Well, now all that remains is 2 platies, my pleco and 2 black neons. This is awful!!! I've been treating with 1/2 doses of jungle ich and the spots were still on some of the fish today after 6 -- 1/2 doses!!!! Doing water changes and vacs in between treatments!!! HOpe everyone doesn't go through something like this. Sad I'm sure this last treatment is what did it for my little ones. They seemed fine until I put this last dose in this morning. I've had it!! Tomorrow I"m doing a 50% water change and using the aquarisol that I got from the pet store!! Heck I have not much left to lose here!! AS far as my 30 gal I've been treating with Aquarisol for 2 days now with no unusual affects to the fish so far. I know it's not as potent, but I never actually saw spots on the fish that were left in there. Hoping this Treatment will prevent any further outbreaks. This whole thing really makes me feel sick!! Embarassed I wish I would have know what I was getting myself in for. I fell like a fish murderer!!! Evil or Very Mad I sure would have done thing differently if I would have been more educated.( My own fault I know.) I know people who never change there water and have green so thick on there tank and they never have a problem!!! Oh well, live and learn I guess. (The hard way!!) Poor fishes. Crying or Very sad Please wish me luck with the fish I have left and hope my big tank stays happy and healthy. ~Nancy~

Also what about my gravel vacs/ nets ect......Can I pass on this bug back and forth? Should I be disinfecting? I make sure its completely dry. Man.........!! Shocked
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nancy,
Sorry to hear about your losses, that's real tough. Sad
When doing your treatments are you meant to do water changes? Does it say to do them on the packaging? I only ask because obviously this will remove the treatment from the water.
You haven't got any carbon in your filter or anything have you?
I would sterilise your nets etc in between to be sure.
You can get stuff from your LFS but I would think a bleach dip would do the same. Mix 19 parts water to 1 part bleach in a bucket and let them soak for a couple of minutes, then rinse thoroughly with clean water.
Good luck with the rest of your stock!
Chin up Wink
bugzycat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.31(Sun)7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Type-R, the Jungle ick brand I've been using says one time treatment usually works. I of course did half doses becuase I had neon tetras. It said to make a partially water change in between treatments if another one was necessary. After the 6th half dose my poor fish were covered in spots. Worse than ever!! I wonder if I had a bad batch??? Also did have my heater blow out that night, so I bet the little bugs went crazy with the temp drop!!?? Made a huge water change yesterday so I could start treating with Aquarisol. This treatment doesn't require water changes. But according to pet shop guy is nowhere near as strong. After the last dose of the blue stuff, within literally hours I lost 3 black neons, 2 neon tetras and a cherry barb! Sad Just can't imagine keeping up with that same treatment. So today is day 2 for my 10 gal with new medicine. I still have the 2 platies and pleco in there. My 30 gal lost a guppy that seemed to have something wrong with the tail (according to my hubby).NO spots on him either. So I think I might have a secondary infection(bacterial?) thing going on. Will make a trip to the LFS to see what kind of meds can be mixed with Aquirsol if any. This is just a nightmare. I just have this fear that I will lose both my tanks to this stuff!! Crying or Very sad Thanks for your input. I will dose my nets and gravel vacs with bleach solution or solution from pet store. Trying to keep a postive attitude here but it gets harder every day. Thanks again. ~Nancy~

I also do have the charcoal out, but filter running in my 10 gal.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: