Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
ICH! Help...how many days do you treat?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugzycat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)8:17    Post subject: ICH! Help...how many days do you treat? Reply with quote

I had a case of Ich break out in my 30 gal tank! Shocked Moved affected fish to a ten gallon and treated with a half dose of JUngle Ich treatment. Says you usually only treat once? The spots do seem gone today, but do I keep treating anyway? I've only had my tanks up 7 weeks so this is all new to me. Did read another post about Ich, but I thought they treated for like five days? It was 3 black neons and two very small cherry barbs that had it. So I used a half a tablet in my ten gallon. Missing one cherry barb this morning, but the rest seem happy and healthy. Never did seem like there was anything wrong with them except they had the white spots. Should I treat my 30 gallon also? I've read that some don't like to use the medicine if they don't have to. All the remaining fish in the 30 gal are not showing signs of spots. I plan On making a 30 % water change today as I've been doing weekly since I got the tank. Really need advice here. My fish all seem happy hungry & healthy! Do not want to do anything unnecessary if I don't have to. Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch. ~ Nancy~
bugzycat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)14:50    Post subject: Cherry barb not missing!! Reply with quote

So releaved to see my cherry barb I thought was missing seems just fine! I guess since I got no replies I will do what I think is right in treating the ich. The box says one time treatment should do it, so I guess since I did a half tablet, I will do the other half tomorrow then on Wednesday do a good vacuumming and water change. The spots believe it or not seem to be gone with just the 1/2 tablet. So hopefully I am making the right choice in treating with one more half tablet, which would make a full dose over 3 days and keep making frequent water changes. Keeping an eye out for relapses. 30 gal tank seems fine so I did a 30 % water change w/vacumming and will not treat the tank unless I see white spots. Thanks anyways! Rolling Eyes Nancy
Choice Words
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go ahead and treat after you see the ich gone!!!! Yes yes!

Ich is only able to be killed when it is in its free-swimming stage, which is AFTER the white dots have fallen off the fish. Typically you should treat for at least 3 days after you see the ich disappear. I would treat for at least 2 more days, coupled by very good gravel cleaning on both the 10 and the larger tank, to suck up the cysts(that fell off the fish) that will soon hatch into free-swimming ich.
bugzycat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

THank you Choice words for your reply! I'm very nervous about this Ich thing getting out of control. I thought the spots were gone on my black neons, but a closer look today proved me wrong. They are still there but not as bad and the cherry barbs still have them to. So tomorrow I will do a good vacuuming and change the water on my ten gallon and treat for at least 3 days after I see the spots gone. I'm really getting paraniod over my 30 gal now and think maybe I should treat it also. I think I might do that tonight. Just really don't want to treat if I don't have to, but keep thinking I see something on them. NOt sure If I'm just paranoid now or not. The dots are so tiny and unless there are several it's very hard to see. Acccckkkkkkkkk! Everyone is eating, seem happy and hungry. Never did see any scratching or shimming. But the black neons definately looked like someone had taken a salt shaker to them. Today I moved my to Red/blue neons into the ten gallon aslo. They seem to have started with spots. Thinking I better treat the big tank also? Wish me luck, because I'm toally new to this. Thanks again and ANY advice is much appreciated. Sad
~Nancy~
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would treat the main tank---ich does not just live on the fish. It also is in the gravel, hence gravel vaccing daily is a good idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bugzycat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a few more questions for ya. What does everyone else use for Ich treatments and do they all turn your stuff blue? I've been treating my 10 gal since sunday and noticed that the sylicone is now stained blue. Is there anything else that can treat ich without staining the tank? I started treating with half doses on Sunday, skipped Tuesday. Did a 50 % water change and vacuuming today. Then added another half dose. The spots on the Black neons seem to be gone but the Cherry barbs still have them pretty bad. Should I euthanize them? The medicine doesn't seem to be working on them and I've lost one already and one looks really bad. Don't think it is going to make it. won't they just keep reinfecting my tank? Boy, I wish I new how this Ich got into my tank!!!! Everything was going great. My husband really doesn't want me to treat the 30 gal since it stains the sides of the tank, but do I really have a choice here???? I did a 30 % water change/ vacuuming yesterday and another 15% water/vaccuuming today. Plan to keep doing daily vacs for the next 5 days or so. Is there anything else I should be doing? Can Ich live on the decorations caves, logs ect? I took most of them out in my ten gallon and left just the plants. Someone please tell me I will get rid of this ich!! Crying or Very sad If someone knows of a better treatment please let me know what has worked well for you. NOT GIVING UP here..... Wink Thanks ~Nancy~
Choice Words
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ich is naturally present in an aquarium. Fish normally fight it off like we fight off any of the billions of cold germs floating around us right now. It infects fish when the fish are weakened or stressed, making them vunerable.

If you continue to get new cases of ich in your 30gal tank: treat the entire tank for ich. Ask your lfs about medications that will not stain and that will be safe for tetras, scaleless fish like loaches, catfish, and invertibrates if you have any of these, b/c many are affected by medication and require that a half-dosage be used. Vacuum the tank daily(important!!). Treat your 10 as well, vac daily here too. Follow the directions for treatment for 3 days past when you see the last visible ich. If you want, you can turn the temp up to 81 or so; this will speed up the ich's lifecycle so it is in the free-swimming stage faster and you will be able to kill it faster.

If you don't keep getting new cases in the 30: vacuum it well and just observe it. Treat any affected fish in your hospital tank as per instructed above. If it's REALLY tiny and hard to see, you may have velvet. It's often treated with the same meds as ich. CHeck out this link...velvet is right below ich. http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html#Ich
Good luck!
wetmanNY
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChoiceWords has some good remarks on Ich. Is the Skeptical Aquarist Ich page helpful in making up your mind what to do?
bugzycat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)8:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies and advice! Here's whats up. In my treatment tank (10gal) the 3 black neons and 2 red/blue neons seem to be free of spots. The 2 cherry barbs and very small pleco still have them. I didn't realize the pleco even had them, just never moved him out of the treatment tank. Noticed spots on him today. I've given 3 half doses already. How many can these poor little neons take??? Do I DARE move them back up to my 30 gal? My plan is to treat with another half dose of Jungle Ich cure after a very good vac/water change again today. This is getting crazy! How can the box say one dose usually cures. Unless I have a unusual case?! I don't feel comfortable not treating my 30 gal, but for now I plan to do a very good vac/water change daily for at least a week or so. My hubby would rather do a daily vac and raise the temp and take our chance. I'm very uncomfortable with this, but he can be stubborn! Laughing I may go talk to the lfs today and see if he has a better treatment or if he has something that won't stain our 30 gal. I think this is the only reason why my hubby is fighting treating the big tank. I also plan to take out all the decorations out of my 30 gal and wash them while I do the vac/water change. I don't know what else I can do. All fish in both tanks seem very energetic and happy. Wierd!! I just feel if I don't treat the big tank I'm doomed for more outbreaks!!?? But trying to convince my husband of that is not easy. I think he's already getting discouraged. I thank you all for your advice and info. I'll keep you posted and if you have anymore advice or help feel free to chime in. Wish me luck! Sad
~Nancy~

Thanks wetman for that very informative page!!!
wetmanNY
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both tanks should be under quarantine. You shouldn't shift fishes back and forth, reinfecting their new tankmates. Wait a month and see whether you have finally eliminated the parasite. Otherwise Ich will keep recurring.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: