Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
CO2 VS Phosphate VS Brush Algae
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Happyface
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.24(Sun)12:42    Post subject: CO2 VS Phosphate VS Brush Algae Reply with quote

I fear I'm duplicating a post but at risk of doing so...

I have a horrible brush algae problem in a 40g planted discus tank:

pH 7.6
GH and KH 8+
Temp 87degF
Fluval 304 cannister (throtteld down a bit so as not blast the fish around the tank)
Frequent (2x/week) 25% water changes
Ammonia and Nitrate at 0 ppm

Yah, I know... Discus at 7.6 and 8+ GOD! But actually they do fine. Our water is very hard.

Strangely, in my 55g planted tank with bala, danio, clown loaches, etc., I have no such problem (water parameters same except temp at 80f). Both tanks contain SAE's.

OK... Now to the question... Since my water paramaters are favorable for brush algae and I've had bad luck adjusting pH and hardness, I need to know about phosphate and co2 in ralation to beard algae. Does Renew or activated carbon or ChemiPure keep phospates low or should I be using a specialized anti-phosphate product such as PhosZorb? Also, I have heard that injecting CO2 can slow the onslaught of brush algae. Is this true? By what mechanism? Does it simply allow the other plants outcompete the algae for nutrients?

Thank you in advance for your help (and for your help in the past as well)!

Happyface
Sparky
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.24(Sun)23:45    Post subject: Re: CO2 VS Phosphate VS Brush Algae Reply with quote

Happyface wrote:

OK... Now to the question... Since my water paramaters are favorable for brush algae and I've had bad luck adjusting pH and hardness, I need to know about phosphate and co2 in ralation to beard algae. Does Renew or activated carbon or ChemiPure keep phospates low or should I be using a specialized anti-phosphate product such as PhosZorb? Also, I have heard that injecting CO2 can slow the onslaught of brush algae. Is this true? By what mechanism? Does it simply allow the other plants outcompete the algae for nutrients?

so you've tried adjusting your pH and hardness? by what methods? most pH buffers contain large amounts of phosphates. also most activated carbon will leach phosphates into the water, so thats certainly not a solution. most phospates (aside from the stuff in those nasty pH buffers) get into your tank from fish food. check the labels on your food for phosphate content, and be careful not to overfeed. Before we can tellyou whether CO2 will help we need to know what kind plants you have and what kind of lighting.
and I don't know much about discus but 87 degrees seems very warm for any kind of fish.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: