Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Another Live Rock Question.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wsinbad1
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.24(Sun)0:51    Post subject: Another Live Rock Question. Reply with quote

I just bought a 150 gallon acrylic tank and will be starting my first salt water tank. Due to the cost I plan on being very patient. Eventually I would like it to be a reef tank, but for now it will be a fowlr tank.

I have heard or read several different things about live rock. Any comments would be welcome.

Does all of the rock need to be Live Rock or will some Live Rock eventually spread the "Goods" to other rock. (the tank came with about 50 lbs of lace rock?

I am also confused about live substrate. Does it all need to be "Live" or only some of it?
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am working on setting up my salt tank as well, or just talking about it, all I have is the tank right now and bunch of ideas.

From what I have gathered I beleive you can get all "dead" or plain not living rock and then there are ways to seed it with live stuff, such as having your sand bed, and then putting in a couple lbs of the live stuff, also, if you mix in the live rock with some non living rock it will eventually spread over to the not living rock and make it "live"

But from what I have heard, this has its drawbacks, it takes much longer for the tank to cycle and be safe for fish, also I think it affects the curing process of the rock, but I can't be sure about that, if someone with some more experience than me wants to clarify that, it would be great.

-Wormo
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.08(Mon)5:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lace rock will be fine and you can seed it with live rock. The best way to cycle a tank is with some peel n eat shrimp like you would get from the grocery store you could do this with your lace rock right in it. Also if you get live rock shipped or off the internet it will have to be cured because there will be a lot of die off. You can do this if you don't have any fish in the tank but if there is livestock then its best to do in a seperate bucket. If you get lr directly from the lfs and its fresh it can go right in the tank.

The same with live sand you can get dry agagonite and seed it with a couple lbs of live sand it will eventually all become live.

live rock faq
http://sps.reefkeepers.org/LiveRockFAQ.htm

sand bed faq
http://www.reefkeepers.org/faq/cache/33.html

reefkeeping 101
http://www.reefcorner.com/reef%20keeping_101.htm
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: