Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Light levels, was in equipment
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PharCyde
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)22:21    Post subject: Light levels, was in equipment Reply with quote

Sorry about putting it in the equipment section, I was initially going to put it here but thought the actual post probably was more equipment related than plant related. But anyway

OK

Future tank.
A four foot/65 gallon aquarium
For light levels, I am going to put my existing twin tube 90 cm ballast on the four foot tank for foreground lighting (saving money at same time) and purchasing a twin tube 120 cm ballast for the middle/rear of the tank (most plantage will be in rear, foreground plants in foreground as would be logical)

Now, with 65 gallons and 2 30 watt and 2 40 watts tubes (totalling 140 watts of lighting and tubes being 15000K, 135 Lux, blue & yellow intensity) would this be considered medium or high light? 2.15 watts per gallon but thats irrelevant compared to intensity though.

Just so I can also decide which plants I would be limited to in terms of light levels.

Thanks people
naclh2ofly
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.24(Sun)7:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

PharCyde,
~2wpg would be considered moderate light, although depending on reflectors, light intensity, tank depth etc you should be able to grow most plants with the exception of some of the high light loving fore ground plants such as Glosso.

Am I wrong in believing the 15000K tubes are Hagen's? Don't know much about them but blue & yellow??? You really want the blue & red ends of the spectrum. Check out revengeishere's post "I heard that there is....." Especially Steve Hampton's reply and his quote from one of 2la's post.

I would use Tritons or GE Fresh and Salt Water Aqua Rays 9325K with the 120 cm ballast.

Fred
PharCyde
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was wondering the blue and yellow, but it is the whole spectrum with large spikes for blue and yellow and a smaller spike for red.

Yeah, Hagen PowerGlo

The light reflectors are pretty good, its just that the tank I'm looking at will be 45 cm tall, and according to Takashi Amano at this height only 1/4 of the light reaches the bottom of the tank, so am wondering. Was looking at some plants for the tank, so yeah just wondering. Thanks for the info.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: