Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Getting some shell dwellers! Yay!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)8:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz, do what you feel is right but trust me on this, fish really don't need everything boiled before its put into the tank. A snail shell may be a little dirty but fish can handle dirt much better than say the soap residue off your hands!

I don't even boil driftwood before tossing it in. I mean, if I'm fine with Discus and Apistos and not be super clean then ... you get the idea.

Escargot shells work great. For sea shells, look in the crafts section at walmart. For decorating bathrooms and such walmart usually sells a bag of sea shells.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discus Man wrote:
Liz, do what you feel is right but trust me on this, fish really don't need everything boiled before its put into the tank. A snail shell may be a little dirty but fish can handle dirt much better than say the soap residue off your hands!

I don't even boil driftwood before tossing it in. I mean, if I'm fine with Discus and Apistos and not be super clean then ... you get the idea.

Escargot shells work great. For sea shells, look in the crafts section at walmart. For decorating bathrooms and such walmart usually sells a bag of sea shells.

Not to start a debate, but I don't see anything wrong with boiling decorations. It's true that not everything (perhaps most things) needs boiling. There are few things it hurts though (although silk plants sounds like it might be one of them...who told you to do that?) I wouldn't ever toss driftwood or rocks into my tank without boiling them, simply because it's so easy to do it. If it stops me from introducing one parasite into my tank that would have been introduced, it's worth my 15 minutes and a dirty pan. I also think it helps break down and clean off some pollutants that may be on rocks, shells, or wood that could get concentrated in a tank. Probably not much more than would be cleaned off with a really good water bath, but if you're going to do that why not boil it and sterilize the decorations at the same time?
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyradia wrote:
Probably not much more than would be cleaned off with a really good water bath, but if you're going to do that why not boil it and sterilize the decorations at the same time?

Thats my point Cyr Smile I don't even wash rocks or wood. Only wet objects from a pond , stream or lake require any form of cleaning. Plants or animals from an aquatic source need to be cleaned or quarentined.

Terrestrial objects like dry driftwood, rocks, earthworms, plop, in they go!

As long as I know it's a herbicide or pesticide free source then I'm confident there will be no issues.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: