Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Getting some shell dwellers! Yay!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)17:23    Post subject: Getting some shell dwellers! Yay! Reply with quote

I gonna get some Neolamprologus multifasciatus (F1) basically out of pure luck. And I didn't find at any LFS (I don't think they even have any)...but a guy from a local club is willing to give me some. The smallest he says he has is 1/2 inch. Yay! Very Happy I had planned on trying to set this tank up in January, but I guess I am going to set this up earlier than I thought.

This is going to be my first cichlid set up. So I need help! I know I need some sand, rocks, and --of course-- plenty of shells. And a filter and heater. I know those basics. But do I need to harden the water? I think I need to since my water is moderately hard, but how do I do that? I know how to soften my water naturally, but how do I harden it naturally? Also where do I get these shells? I read somewhere to go to a grocery store and get the shells that they sell. Would this be okay??? Am I missing anything?

I've read a lot on these fish, but personal experiance is great! Very Happy Wink

Last edited by FishAddict85 on 2003.08.25(Mon)20:17; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest asking the guy how he's set-up his tank and how he controls water hardness (assuming you're on the same water supply.) Obviously his set-up is good enough to breed them. Other than that, look into crushed coral substrate. I bought a bag many moons ago from dr. fosters and smith (or was it big al's?) and it was plenty to fill two 20 gallon tanks. Also, decorations such as dead coral and seashells are "legal" in these tanks. The affect all of this has on your water may vary, so make sure to test the hardness and pH of you water while you're experimenting. Eventually, you may have to replace the coral as it loses some buffering abilities over time.

As far as shells, I've heard of some tang keepers finding escargo at their local grocery store and using those shells in their tank. Also, I saw some pretty good sets of breeding shells on aquabid. Make sure to give them plenty of choices.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)7:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking to him he says he doesn't mess with the water. He uses playsand And the shells he got from Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby "with a few turbos and apple snail shells thrown in." We aren't on the same water supply unfortunally, but mine is only a little bit softer. So perhaps they will be okay. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ACE125
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly are your water perameters? And I would just get a good fine "african cichlid" substrate. I'm not a big fan of sand. Maybe CARIB-SEA REEF SAND would work, it's a very corse sand designed to buffer pH in marine tanks.
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pH reads 7.8 today. My gh and KH is somewhere around 15. Since most people around here say that is their readings. Rolling Eyes Cool
ACE125
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those numbers should be fine. I was at 7.8 before I stated injecting CO2. And mine are now breeding at 7.5! Anyway, here is an excerpt from an article about keeping tangs (from the cichlids forum, by Brad Newton)-
Quote:
pH is important, and should be at least 7.8 and preferably 8.0 - 8.6

KH or Carbonate Hardness should be kept between 7
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Just checking to make sure I didn't need to add any of that "cichlid salt" stuff. Cool I really hate messing with the water too much, so I'm happy I don't have to. Rolling Eyes
AnimalLover78
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most LFS will sell shells or if your feeling adventuous you can always go to the beach a pick a few, just make sure you clean and boil them to get all the beach gunk off!
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)8:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw some shells at my LFS. Only one problem with them. They were plastic! And they had this hidious shiny paint all over them. I would use shells from the ocean but there is one big problem with that...I live in Oklahoma. Great idea though. Wink I think I'll call up the saltwater LFS across town and see if they have any shells for hermit crabs. Also I might try over at PetsMart and see if they will give me their dead snails for free. Laughing I'm serious! Also escargo shells and shells at Wal-Mart are a possibilities if those don't work out.

And wherever I get them from I figuring I should clean them. How long should I boil them for? Are you sure that I should boil them? I mean you told my sister to boil her silk plants....you should see them now!

Anyway, thanks for all of your help! Very Happy
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Cyradia said, you should look on aquabid.com. Under the "decorations" section, I saw a bunch of listings for shells...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: