Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
african for 29G
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1_fly_pigeon
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)1:05    Post subject: african for 29G Reply with quote

I bought another 29g tank and just want to know what kind of african cichlids can I put in there? I was thinking about blue cobalts or orange peacocks. Is that possible? How many can I put if it is?

Thanks,

29g long
5 dwarf rainbows
2 kribs
2 bol rams
2 blue rams
1 curvicep
1 clown pleco
1 talking catfish
29g __??__hopefully africans
JewelsRCute
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried this with my 29 and made a african "community" tank. Ya, that didn't work. I went from about 8 species down to 2. I have 2 jewel cichlids and 1 auratus and 1 red zebra. The red zebra is getting beat up so I'm thing of having an all jewel tank and keeping the one auratus. But pick cichlids that stay from about 2-5 inches like jewel cichlids. But during breeding is when you have to worry. I haven't had to deal with breeding yet so I don't know much about that part of cichlid keeping. But you have to make sure you just get lots of hiding places because 29 gallons is a small tank for cichlids. Oh, if you don't know what a jewel cichlid looks like it is the fish in my little pic over there <~~~~~~. Isn't it cute!?!?! Very Happy
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen jewel cichlids at 6 inches.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hongi
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.24(Sun)22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want to add Africans with the current fish you have listed? If so, it won't work. Or do you have another 29 gallon with nothing in it? If so, a Labidochromis Caeruleus species tank with 6 to 8 fish would be a nice setup. Or maybe some Iodotropheus Sprengeraes and Labs mixed. Cobalt Blues and Peacocks need a bigger tank, around 55 gallons. You also might consider the African dwarf cichlids, the Tanganiyaka "Shell Dwellers", which would be great in a 29 gallon.
1_fly_pigeon
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the the info. I'm actually getting another 29g.
I won't mess with the first tank. My fish are doing great.

29g long
5 dwarf rainbows
2 kribs
2 bol rams
2 blue rams
1 curvicep
1 clown pleco
1 talking catfish
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: