Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Question about my Rainbow Shark
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan314
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.22(Fri)22:51    Post subject: Question about my Rainbow Shark Reply with quote

I have a question concerning my Rainbow Shark. I've had him for awhile now, about a year and before I bought him, I was told that they will eat anything and everything, but this turned out to be wrong. My Shark does not eat flakes, he will just spit them out. The only thing I think he's living off of is the film Algae on the rocks and the aquarium glass. Don't get me wrong though, he isn't sick looking or acting strange, he's perfectly healthy and is very active. Is this normal? I figure it is since he's been healthy the whole time I've had him. But it's just a concern and I would just like the clear things up.

And also, My Rainbow Shark is very aggressive towards my Tiger Barbs, and just them. It's strange because, if any of the Tiger Barbs come close to his rockery area, he will dart at it and chase it away, even if he just sees a Tiger Barb, he'll chase it, BUT, the Shark does not do that with my other fish (Neons, Black Neons, Black Tetras, Red-Eye Tetras) he will just leave them alone, even when the other fish school in his rockery area, he doesn't care, he just minds his own business but when he sees a Tiger Barb, he will dart at it very quickly, I found this very interesting but is it normal? Thanks ahead of time everyone!-

Ryan
revengeishere
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.22(Fri)23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

my red tailed black shark only eats algae off of my tank, and he is one of the fullest inhabitant of my tank. I saw him eat a flake several times, but I read they are completely vegetarian. I wud suggest using algae wafers or someting, but right now, if he is young, he can pretty much live off of the algae, mine does and I don't supplement his diet at all:-).
PharCyde
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)3:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a different brand of flake food or get some algae pellets. He may eat them instead, the film algae probably isn't enough.

If the Tiger Barbs aren't being injured or appear stressed and ditto for the shark then don't worry, only when a fish is being stressed out or injured, then you may want to rectifiy the problem.
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've had him a year and he hasn't eaten the flakes the whole time, then I wouldn't worry too much. He is eating something. Just to add to what pharcyde said, maybe mix things up a bit with your feeding. Even in community tanks with easy fish, I try to offer a variety whenever possible, such as frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ryan314
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very difficult to get food to him because all my other fish eat all of it before he can get any. I have been feeding my fish by taking a pinch of food and sticking it in the water and spreading it around everywhere so my Shark could have a chance to get some. The reason I did this is because the Shark does not come up to the surface to eat. So I think if I tried to feed him Algae pellets for example, it would be hard getting it to him.

He has a little rockery area that is his and no one elses, and it has a few areas under the rocks that he swims in- Could I maybe take an Algae pellet and place it in those areas so only he can get to it?
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely he's getting leftovers from everyone else. Rainbow sharks are bottom feeders and graze the bottom for leftover stuff. Good things to feed them in addition to the flake (I guarantee that's what he's eating off the bottom) are bloodworms, sinking shrimp pellets, algae wafers, and brine shrimp.

HTH
Ryan314
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I'm going to try some Algae Wafers. Thanks guys for the information.
revengeishere
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huntress wrote:
Most likely he's getting leftovers from everyone else. Rainbow sharks are bottom feeders and graze the bottom for leftover stuff. Good things to feed them in addition to the flake (I guarantee that's what he's eating off the bottom) are bloodworms, sinking shrimp pellets, algae wafers, and brine shrimp.

HTH
Agree, my shark is the plumpest member of my aquaria(like I said above) and I've had him for about 5 months now. And the only time I saw eat when feeding them was like a month after I bought him..
JewelsRCute
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)23:15    Post subject: f Reply with quote

This is what I get for my algae eating fish. Tetramin variety wafers, the rich mix. You can get this at wal-mart.

The back says: blah blah, they sink to the bottom to ensure that everyone will get fed. Laboratory tests show that wafers dissolve slower, which means that your bottom feeders will have more time to graze. Does not cloud water when used as directed. blah blah...

I had one in their once for 3 days before it dissolved so it really does stay a long time, my snails, pleco, ghost shrimp, and danios love these so maybe your shark will like them. If you can't find those maybe you can try something similar. oh, they sink to the bottom too.
Ryan314
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.24(Sun)12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jewels, I'll get some of that. But this morning I got some Wardley Algae Discs. I got them before I read your reply. I'm going to try these but I'm still going to get what you reccomended. Thanks!

Ryan.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: