Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
what kind of tests?
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maryann
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.22(Fri)19:42    Post subject: what kind of tests? Reply with quote

OK...new to the freshwater testing....
went to the local fish store to see what tests they had....somehow this particular store makes me want to run out quickly each and every time and take a shower...yuck! Sad I just do not have a confidence in the quality of their items. They sell dog stuff and fish stuff and some other odd small animals and been around forever in this little town...
so........online I go...... Rolling Eyes

What am I looking for? I have a 46 gallon bowfront with ONE Oscar in it. Penguin Biowheel 330

still new to the fish world
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.22(Fri)20:56    Post subject: Re: what kind of tests? Reply with quote

maryann wrote:
....somehow this particular store makes me want to run out quickly each and every time and take a shower...yuck!
LOL, I know the feeling...

Quote:
What am I looking for? I have a 46 gallon bowfront with ONE Oscar in it. Penguin Biowheel 330

For your situation, I personally would not run out and buy a bunch of different test kits at this point. If the tank is still cycling (first 6 weeks or so) then just do frequent water changes to keep your fish healthy. It is pretty much a given at this point that your 6" fish IS going to be creating a strong dose of ammonia and nitrites as the tank cycles. If you really get curious and want to confirm that yes there is ammonia in there, take a sample down to your LFS and let them waste their test kit on it. Just keep up the frequent water changes and you are good for the short term.

Long term is slightly different. As your fish grows up large, you will need to know about the level of nitrates (quite different from nitrites) that he is generating, so that you can set up an effective water change schedule. You should attempt to keep the nitrates from building up over a level of 40ppm. This might be tough to do with such a large fish in a smallish tank, but it is possible. For measuring this I highly recommend using AquaLab IV Nitrate/Nitrite test strips from Mardel. One quick dip of the strip in the tank and one minute later you can see how much nitrates have accumulated and change water accordingly.
Hope this helps (and saves you some money Smile )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
maryann
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)5:57    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks Tommy........nitrites and nitrates......

not to be concerned with pH?

still new to the fish world
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)11:11    Post subject: nitrates as a starting point for regular changes Reply with quote

Testing the nitrates is a good thing to do to try to determine how large and how often your regularly scheduled water changes ought to be. Being regular is important, and testing now and again to see that the tank is still making nitrates at the same rate is important too. As fish grow or spawn, more waste will be generated, might need more water changed.

I favor getting the whole Master Kit, with KH, GH, Ammonia, Nirtite, pH and High pH. Then nitrates. some of these are things that you don't often need, but if you need them you won't want to wait until next week to get the data.
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)12:36    Post subject: Re: thanks Reply with quote

maryann wrote:
not to be concerned with pH?

For this tank with this fish, I wouldn't be. It is good to know just for your own personal info, what pH/hardness your tap water supply comes out at. However, this is information that can usually be obtained by a simple phone call to your water company (unless you are on a well). Or usually if there is a fish store close by in your city, someone there will know the pH of your city water.

After that, Oscars are pretty adaptable and can be kept in a variety of water conditions as long as it's not extreme on the acidic or alkaline sides. If you start testing your pH the next step will be the temptation to start trying to adjust it. Believe me, you can do a LOT more harm by trying to adjust your pH without fully understanding the relationship between KH,gH, and pH. If your tap water is reasonable, I would leave it alone.

Of course this all changes if you catch the "more tanks" addiction that we all have, and decide to start keeping more sensitive fish who require specific parameters such as Rams or apisto's etc.

Last edited by Tommy on 2003.08.23(Sat)20:17; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)12:40    Post subject: Re: what kind of tests? Reply with quote

Tommy wrote:
AquaLab IV Nitrate/Nitrite test strips from Mardel.

Just for clarification, this product is one combined strip that tests for Nitrates and Nitrites on the same strip. In reality the nitrites portion of the strip is useless on a properly cycled tank because the reading will always be zero. Again, it is a very effective easy to use tool for keeping large fish where nitrates and large water changes will be an issue.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: