Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
algae problem once again....
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.22(Fri)15:09    Post subject: algae problem once again.... Reply with quote

Well I've successfully gotten rid of BGA. Very Happy
But my problem this time is I have Green Spot algae, Yeah I know...."leave you light off" but when I do then brown algae takes it's place then when I try and leave the light on longer the green spot come back....the cycle goes on and on... Rolling Eyes Is their some sorta fish that eats this that whould be able to be in my tank? should I try a black out? If so how long?
Tank stuff:
5g
acrylic
weekly 20% water changes
Nonplanted
Fish:
Dwarf Gourami
Panda cory

TIA
Amanda Wink
Shawna in CA
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.22(Fri)17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing will get rid of this algae. You can even visit sites that specialize in information about the types of algae this hobby's participants face, and they just say, "Deal with it."

All you can do is cut off leaves that have it, or if you have tough plants like anubias, you can give them a bleach soak. 19 parts bleach, 1 part water, soak leaves only for 3 mintues, and rub, rub, rub. Then rinse, rinse, rinse, in cold water.

As for the glass, just scrape it off using the edge of an ATM card, or a Dobie sponge. They're not as common as they used to be, but I can still find them at Target.
http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jhtml?CATID=100467&PRODID=15003
Magnus
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.22(Fri)17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think rubberlip pleco eats spot algae.
Shawna in CA
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.22(Fri)18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I borrowed some of those from the store. They didn't make a dent. LOL! So, then I was told bristlenoses were good. I borrowed some of those, as well (and still have them---shhhh!) and they're not doing much either.
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.22(Fri)20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say just try and keep the nutrient levels down and deal with scraping off the algae every week, I still havent found anything that can take care of that kind of algae problem. If you find one be sure to let us know.
naclh2ofly
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)6:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amanda,
How much light do you have? Green spot is common in high light tanks.

Green spot is best removed mechanically....... scape, scrub, scape, scub etc

Pleco's in a 5G ACYLIC??????? NO NO! Even the small plecs/ancistrus sp. are to big for a 5g and if they show any enthusiasm for the algae their rasping may scatch the acylic.

Again the best approach is grin and scrub it ;^) Try not to let it get out of hand.

Fred
Mandy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for the glass,just scrape it off using the edge of an ATM card, or a Dobie sponge. They're not as common as they used to be, but I can still find them at Target.

But it's acrylic. wouldn't it scratch it?

BTW- I don't Have an ATM card I'm Only 15...lol
Quote:
All you can do is cut off leaves that have it

It's NOT planted (but it's thinking about planting it, Stealing some plants from sister Wink ).

I heard that Amamo Shrimp eat this, Does anyone have any thought on this? (of course I would have to get rid of my cory...)

Lighting? whatever fits in the hood...But I think it's a 15w blue light, But it's near a window..doesn't get any direct light.

Thanks,
Amanda Wink
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their are special scrapers manufacutured for acrylic tanks. Just ask a knowledgeable salesperson on them...he should be able to direct you to one.
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't find anything suitable for cleaning your acrylic, try getting an ice scraper from an auto store. You can get small plastic ones with one edge being a plastic blade and the other edge a rubber blade. You can try using the rubber side to be safe on the acrylic and if it doesn't work then carefully try the plastic blade.
The other thing I thought I should mention is that Shawna said that with tough plants you can give them a bleach dip. I think she meant to say 19 parts water to 1 part bleach. Smile
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: