Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Few Angelfish questions...
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugzycat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.22(Fri)9:22    Post subject: Few Angelfish questions... Reply with quote

Hi again! Wink I posted awhile back about Angels and neons together. WEll, I have a couple more questions to throw at ya. First how established does your tank have to be for Angels? I know they don't do well in new tanks, but how long should you have your tank up and running before it's considered OK to put in an Angel? One local pet store said 4-6 weeks was okay? Not sure if I believe that. Another pet store said Angels like salt in there water? I haven't read this anywhere on the profiles for angels. Or did I miss that? Confused I've moved some fish around in other tanks to save room for a pair of Angels in the future. Just would like to know if I need to wait 6 weeks, 6 Months? Laughing I believe my tank is fully cycled as amonia levels are Ideal. (It's been up for 6 weeks now.) Took 4 weeks for the water to clear up! Crystal clear now. Yay! We didn't think it would ever clear. Oh one last ? . I have also heard that Angels can't take too much Carbon in the tank? Thanks for any advice you can give. Much appreciated! ~Nancy~
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.24(Sun)18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your tank is cycled, you have a big enough, and the rest of the parameters are in order you can add your angels. As for salt, I wouldn't worry about it. I add about 4 little pieces of aquarium salt about once a month to angel tank. Just enough to leave some traces in the water. Do they require it, not that I'm aware of. As far a carbon, I don't think angels care either way. If your planting the tank that's a differnt issue. As a general rule LPS and LFS tell you hogwash. Unless you get a good relationship with a reputable FISH store, I would generally take the advice with a grain of salt. My store that I love all the employee's are fish keepers, if they don't know something they generally ask someone who has kept the fish. They even have a poster of the nitrogen cycle up. They don't always dispense the best advice or refuse a sale, but they are pretty good. Just remember angels require about 10 gallons each. They are cichlids and as such they can/will get agressive, testy, and territorial.

Last edited by Irons on 2003.08.25(Mon)12:18; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bugzycat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)8:37    Post subject: Thank Irons for your info. Reply with quote

Thank you for your info on Angels. Because I am so new to this And the pet store people KNow it, I feel I can't really trust too much of what they are telling me. LIke them selling me gold guarmies to cycle my tank and not warning me that they were the MOSt Aggressive ones out there. Now part of this is my own fault for not doing research on them before hand, but I still can't believe he sold me those with no warning!! The problem in my area is that we only have two very small pet stores and a walmart. Not much to choose from unless you want to travel an hour away. Not sure how well an Angel would do in the transition? Anyways, thanks for taking out the time to reply to my question. I appreciate it very much. I'll be waiting for the right Angel to come along. Wink ~Nancy~

ps. The gold guaramies were returned to the pet store and I now research every fish before I decide to buy! Laughing
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would by far rather drive an hour to get good fish than buy inferior ones from a crappy lfs. Usually if the drive is an hour or so, your fish will travel fine. Some stores can add oxygen to the bags to help out as well.
Remember that some people actually mail fish overnight, so they can stand the travel.
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

SherryNE wrote:
I would by far rather drive an hour to get good fish than buy inferior ones from a crappy lfs. Usually if the drive is an hour or so, your fish will travel fine. Some stores can add oxygen to the bags to help out as well.
Remember that some people actually mail fish overnight, so they can stand the travel.

Well said on the mailing fish call! If you're going to a decent pet store, they should be able to package your fish for a long ride home. In fact, an hour they shouldn't even need special packaging. In the summer when cold isn't a problem, I receive fish via priority mail. Recently I received a box of fish that had been in transit for over 3 days...no deaths and they were all eating after 3 hours. It's all about quality fish that are healthy and professional packaging.

Additionally, I would really recommend that you go out of your way to find good stock. The difference between good and bad fish is very real, and if you unknowingly buy a weak fish you'll end up paying for it in the end. Don't buy angelfish that don't look very alert and nearly ram the glass when they see you hoping for food. An angelfish that isn't begging probably isn't healthy. If you're unsure, reach your hand near the top of the tank like you may drop something in and see what they do.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with Cyradia. Get the best you can afford. I purchased a low quality stock. I've grown them up since they were quite small. Now they are bigger than a silver dollar and might be getting rid of them. Mine are very healthy by the "hunger standard". They stack on top of one another anytime I get within 6 feet of the tank. If my wife doesn't tell me she's feed them too, I'll give them a second (or rather 3rd feeding). I know afterwards she's feed them because they "waddle" looking for more food.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bugzycat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)15:02    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Thank you Sherry, Irons & Cyradia! I guess one of my biggest fears was buying this beautiful Angelfish and having the hour trip home kill it. Laughing Like I said I am new to this whole thing and your help is very much appreciated!! I will not buy just any Angelfish and will most likely be making that trip very soon. Thank you all for your help. Very Happy ~ Nancy~
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: