Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
To much Lighting?
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.22(Fri)7:56    Post subject: To much Lighting? Reply with quote

I am in the process of setting up a 29g tank, and I was wondering if I could put 48inch tubes over the top of the tank, even though it was only 36inches. Would the 6 inches of light on either side of the tank affect the tank? I was also wondering how much lighting would I need for the tank if I am just going to use flourescent tubes, no compact lighting or anything.

Thanks,
Wormo.
Waffleman
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.22(Fri)22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Wormo,

a 29G tank is only 30" not 36. You would be wasting a lot of energy and light that way.

I would look in some PC's.

I have a55W 10000K bulb (PC) and 20W actinic (NO) on my 29Gallon tank with good results.

HTH,
Waffleman
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)5:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah...so it is. I read the line for thet 30g instead of the 29. Well since I havent bought anything there is still time for a change of plans, I am going to go and look at some powercompacts and I will let you guys know whats going on.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.24(Sun)18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back,

You could also build your own lighting. I'm considing building my own light fixture for my 30gal tank. Having only 20W's over it doesn't seem to be enough anymore for me. It seems everything I need is at home depot. To save some money I'm considing just modifying an $8.00 - 48" fixture.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.24(Sun)22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Irons. My original plan was to save money on the lighting, I wanted to save up as much money as possible for the filtration and live rock and such. So how are you planning on modifying those 48inch shoplights? cause thats what I was going to use just the whole 48inches of them, which I think you caught on to.
Waffleman
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)20:15    Post subject: lighting Reply with quote

I didn't answer your question on the amount of light is needed.
It depends if you want to have a reef or FOWLR. The fish only option doesn't have much as far as requirements go. If you want a Reef tank with nice corals you will need at least 3WPG, most people recommend 5WPG. 2 96Watt Power compacts would be nice. Wink
If you decide to go reef, don't skimp on the lights.
This is a good source:http://www.ahsupply.com/96watt.htm

Since your tank is 3ft long and are on a budget:
Home Depot has 3 foot double strip lights for $27 each. ((needs 2x 30Watt bulbs) 2 of these strips should fit over the tank and will give you 4WPG.
I don't think it 'll get much cheaper than that.

HTH
Waffleman
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to go look for those 36" fixture. I haven't been able to find any @ a resonable price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: