Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Filtration for a fish only 120 gallon tank
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkey5150
Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.25(Thu)14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had RIOs for over 3 years and knock on wood no problems.
I'm at work and don't remember the numbered series but I used a large one in my sump, on my skimmers and in my tanks and I have no complaints..

I clean them every couple of months, which is a breeze, I can not even say if one has ever jammed on me. Once I had some sand get into the impeller and scored a line/ridge around the magnet but the little beast never stopped working. That is probably the only thing that ever happened!!!

As for quiet, I sit right next to my tank and wouldnt even notice it..

I have read that Rios are proned to shorts,,,,But my 3 LFS all carry Rios and they and I have never had a problem...

Id use them again..
scott
29 gal Chaulerpa tank
20 gal fresh
Avrumeleh
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.25(Thu)15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks for that info...I've literally spent a fortune in the last month on this new saltwater setup and also I bought a really nice pressurized CO2 unit for my planted tank, so, while I'm willing to keep pumping money into this addiction, I do want to save some money where I can. The Rio's are very reasonably priced and now that I've heard that you had a good experience with that brand, I'm going to take a chance with it.

Also, when you price the live rock, make sure that the cost of shipping to your door is included because some companied will only ship to an airport and then it's your responsibility to get it from there.

I think you mentioned that you were talking to the fish store guy in Brewster....do you mean Mike at Country Aquarium on Rte. 6?
monkey5150
Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.25(Thu)16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I don't even remember his name,, I don't think that is the place. This place is in a really small strip mall across from USA Baby.
HOLY, I can't even remember the stores name..

Ya, The live rock in the sump is gonna take some time befor I pick up anything substancial I'm gonna have to recope a bit after buying a new filter setup, skimmer and plumbing....OUCHIES,,, I do have some rock in my school tanks, I may pick a couple of pieces out. The eel won't mind.
29 gal Chaulerpa tank
20 gal fresh
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.25(Thu)17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Rio on my set up now, been up and running for 2 weeks, no problems yet and its pretty quite, occasionally the the tube catches on the lid just so, that it makes an awful vibrating noise, but that is just the tubing get caught up, still no problems with the pump.

The one problem that I have read about by using a "glass sump" such as the Oceanic one, is that it is much much more difficult to drill if you were to want to add a second sump, in which case drilling the tanks would be very difficult.
Avrumeleh
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.25(Thu)20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true about the drilling. On the other hand, I literally have no more room for any more tanks in this room so it wasn't a consideration. Actually, I did think that glass might not be as durable as plastic but every experienced person I asked told me that I'd be better off with glass...I'm not even sure why they said that. I guess that's just another area where there are all kinds of different opinions. One more thing....Lots of people recommended that I make my own sump which is done with a fishtank as the basic component, so I figured that it would be okay. I don't have enough experience with it yet to even have an opinion that would be valid. We'll see.
monkey5150
Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.26(Fri)8:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I WILL NEVER TRY TO CUT GLASS AGAIN. I tried making my own top for a 20 long sump,, what a nightmare.. So I picked up some plexiglass from home depot practiced on a couple of pieces and it came out great. I even had cut outs for my hoses..

I've seen all of the rubbermaid "DIY" stuff but I really want to try and limit my rate of evaporation/salt creeps too and those tops really do'nt seal well .I also want to have an external pump and have as much as I can piped through the tank walls. That's why I keep leaning to a mass produced unit.

The other main worry is the plumbing. Bulkheads and the connections have always intimidated me. But on my old 125 (the 6' style) I did all of my own plumbing; stop valves, one ways, 2 inlets, 2 skimmer boxes, the works and I can honestly say I don't think I save much money but spilled and learned even more about DRIP LOOPs...LOL. Though I tell you at the end (before I broke down the system) when the power cut off all the water stopped and started perfectly I could have probably made any shape out of PVC you could want...

OH ya and Flow rate Increaseing and decreasing using pipes,, lets just say I lost??????

Scott
29 gal Chaulerpa tank
20 gal fresh
monkey5150
Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.26(Fri)8:56    Post subject: HELPFULL???? Reply with quote

This may be helpful,, or NOT we all seem to be juggling what to do about our filters+ skimmers...

http://www.kingvinnie.com/aquaria/diy/

You kind of water flow are you guys aiming for? I know AL like 10X!!!

Scott
29 gal Chaulerpa tank
20 gal fresh
monkey5150
Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.26(Fri)11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al,
Here is a link I found re: a 120 with a lot of DIY style action
http://creativelyyoursvideo.com/reef/details.html#sump
29 gal Chaulerpa tank
20 gal fresh
Avrumeleh
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.26(Fri)13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those two sites are really interesting...I've looked through the King Vinnie DIY site before but there's so much in there that it's like going back in there for the first time.

I'm not doing too much DIY though because I just haven't got the time with all of the interests that I have. I just spend, spend, spend. Still, it takes a lot of time but I am raring to go on this 120 marine tank of mine. Maybe this weekend I'll be filling it up to check for leaks. Then, hopefully I'll finally get to order the live rock next week.

By the way, I noticed that the Oceanic glass sump is already drilled and has two 1 1/2 inch bulkheads on the side. I'm not using those and they are just capped off, so it is pretty versatile.

When you ask about how much power, I guess you're talking about what size water pump will be moving the sump....I have a Rio Hyperflow 26HF which is getting the water from two over the side overflows (made by Amiracle). The Rio 26 HF is rated at 1350 gph at the 4 feet of headroom that it has. Then like I mentioned I have two additional Rios....17HF's...which are rated at 1090 at one foot of head room each, so there will be whole lot of movement in there, and ought to be okay....

by the way, here's a pic of the tank setup just sitting there waiting to be filled......

...and here's the Aqua C skimmer setup next to the tank...a whole had to be drilled throught the side of the stand for the return to the sump after the water goes through the skimmer.......

and now for a few pics of the planted tank, one of the other tanks I have...

monkey5150
Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.26(Fri)14:05    Post subject: WOW Reply with quote

The tanks looks great!!!!! I like your method,, spend,spend,spend. Now that monster of a protein skimmer is piped into the oceanic 3,, WOW

As per circulation Your fish are going to have a blast with the currents.. I see you putt 2 inlets one on either side, any thought to adding a spraybar??? I was mulling it over myself..

I'm jealous you are so close!!!!!!!!! I still havent finailzed what I'm doing for a sump. I called Beitels in Pearl river NY and they make a 20 gallon sump all thick glass for $178,but that doesn't include much else. I'll probably drive out there and take a look at them this weekend...

My tank looks so board..Its saying "FIX-ME".....LOL

great plant tank by the way.what size is it?...
29 gal Chaulerpa tank
20 gal fresh
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to: