Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Filtration for a fish only 120 gallon tank
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Avrumeleh
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.24(Wed)16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know what you think
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.03.24(Wed)16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live Rock, I am thinking if I order 1 box of Fiji (46-50+lbs) I can use it as a secondary filter to the bio-balls and basicly just use it as decorations. Does this seem reasonable? or should I be ordering a second box for a 72g tank.
Avrumeleh
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.24(Wed)17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wormo, if you have 100 pounds of live rock in the 72 gallon tank, you most likely wouldn't need any bi0-balls for "additional filtration." If you just go with the one box of about 50 pounds, I guess you can go with the bio-balls. I don't think there's any right or wrong way on that issue, just a matter of which method of filtration you want to go with. If you are going to stock with coral, I would go with just the live rock and not use bio-balls, but again, that's a matter of choice and I think you'd most likely be all right either way. Of course that's just my thinking from all the reading I've done, but I'd say that it's the common wisdom on how to do this nowadays.
monkey5150
Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.24(Wed)19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, I called a bunch of local dealers using the oceanic website and half of the stores didn't even know what I was talking about..The other half wanted some serious cash...LOL typical with reefs..I wish I could drills tanks,, man the oceanic 2 which I would need for my 75 is nothing moe then a 30 gallon long... Darn bultheads!!!

I agree on loosing the bio balls, the more I read the more the LR and DSB is the way to go..

whats your guys opinions on that "biochamber" in the oceanic,, needed?

scott
29 gal Chaulerpa tank
20 gal fresh
Avrumeleh
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.24(Wed)19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, those Oceanics are really expensive but with all the money I invested in this thing, I figured that a couple of bucks more wouldn't kill me. LOL.

I got the one with the bio-chamber even though it's more expensive than the straight sump they offer and I don't even intend to use bio-balls on the thought that if I ever change my mind and want to use the bio-balls I could.

Before you decide to do the DSB, take a look at this site.......http://www.wetwebmedia.com/deepsandbeds.htm
monkey5150
Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.24(Wed)20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome article!!! fine sand it is!!!

Avrumeleh if you don't mind me asking do you recommend any lLFS for the oceanic. I did find a website that is so far the cheapest for a complete kit. http://www.elmersaquarium.com/h153oceanic_sumps.htm
scott

I do have to admit I like the way they are set up, "for an upgraded 30 gal tank" LOL
29 gal Chaulerpa tank
20 gal fresh
Avrumeleh
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.24(Wed)20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good price....$314...I paid $405 at a LFS. I guess you mean Local Fish Store by ILFS (If not, what does ILFS stand for??), so if you would prefer to get one at a local fish store, you can either call Mike in Brewster on Rte. 6 at (845) 279-0277 who got my Oceanic tank for me...tell him Alan sent you...or you can call Robert (the owner) at Pets Place II in Nanuet, where I got my Oceanic wet/dry at 845-623-5565.
monkey5150
Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.24(Wed)20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

ILFS stands for " holy crap I've been looking at how many filter websites and my fingers have finally given up" ..LOL ILFS=fat fingers

Cool I tried calling them tonight but most where closed,, I'll try again in the morning....A guy at putnum pets said the oceanic 2 would be OK for my 75,,it's rated from 125-180 gallons, tank, glass and pipes 250.

I'm leaning that direction.. then comes the LR....

I like rapping with the guy in brewster ,, he just nows me as the teacher guy in Mahopac.

good night all
Scott
29 gal Chaulerpa tank
20 gal fresh
monkey5150
Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.24(Wed)20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

the oceanic webite listed 110 stores... I call atleast 25....
29 gal Chaulerpa tank
20 gal fresh
Avrumeleh
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.03.25(Thu)13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott...you mentioned that you have a Rio water pump...I need a water pump for the UV that I ordered and I see that the Rios (as opposed to the Rio HP "professional" line) are pretty inexpensive....Do you like yours? I'm essentially concerned about noise....I want a pump that's really silent. Can you let me know?? Thanks
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to: