Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New Plant to me...
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pear
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.21(Thu)14:32    Post subject: New Plant to me... Reply with quote

Hi, I just got a new plant that I can't find any info on anywhere. According the the LFS it's a "Verigated Water Drecena" (the spelling they gave me). The description that I can give of the plant is that it is a stemed rooted plant with a green leaf trimmed in a whitish tan, much like a spider plant leaf. Thanks in advance for any help you might have........"pear"
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.21(Thu)15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pear,
Bit of bad news here I'm afraid. This plant (proper name Dracaena sanderiana) is not actually a true aquarium plant.
Many fish stores sell these so called 'decorative' aquarium plants but what they don't tell you is that they will die in a couple of months. They will survive underwater for weeks or months but will not grow. If you want to keep it alive I suggest potting it in some soil and put it in your window instead.
Hongi
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.22(Fri)0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I got tricked into buying one when I first started with plants. After about a weeks it started to die. I found out what it was from this forum and took it out and potted it. I thought for sure it would die, but to my suprise it got some new growth and now its doing fine! Now I won't shop at a store that sells these houseplants for aquaria.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: