Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
foam or ugf filter in a new tank
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kudos
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.21(Thu)13:35    Post subject: foam or ugf filter in a new tank Reply with quote

congrats guys and girls on a great forum, spent the last few days reading through all articles.

setting up a new tank, 60litre 22x15x10 inches I think, the tank will be home to 2 black moors, 1 red vein and a few red tipped mineows.

read all the info about filters but still confused, the bigger fish I have choosen are not known for their swimming skills so really need a filter that does not cause too much currant or at least spreads it evenly across the tank, was thinking about a ugf but also want to put some plants in and from what I have read the two together are not ideal, so what are peoples experiences of foam filters.

couple of other questions

if I go with a foam filter would like to use sand as a base with some gravel, is it hard to keep sand clean and what are the best ways of doing it.

is the amount of fish I am thinking of keeping in this tank going to overload it, plan to fishless cycle than a fish every couple of weeks starting with the 3 mineows, hard little guys that they are

my tank at the moment is a biOrb which is not very suitable for black moors, small (30L) and the currant is to strong, but would it be agood idea to start my new tank by putting the old sponge filter from the biOrb into the new tank to help kick start the bacteria.

any info would be great, thanks in advance, Arran, england

"never buy a stupid dwarf, its not big and its not clever" Very Happy
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: