Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Prism Deluxe Skimmers....
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SiMi_2k3
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.21(Thu)11:57    Post subject: Prism Deluxe Skimmers.... Reply with quote

anybody have opinions on the Prism Deluxe Skimmer? I'm planning on buying one mail order for my 40Imp. Gal tank and wanted opinions before I set my thoughts in stone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
J.J. Shabadoo Jr
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.22(Fri)21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I give my opinion, I run a 70 gal reef tank, and keep in mind that I have never tried any other type of skimmer.

During the initial few weeks, I had to maintain a very low flow, so my flow regulator was always near perpendicular with the intake. If you set the foam to the "o-ring" as the manual describes, I does waste a lot of sea water, that's why I adjusted accordingly. During this low flow period, you might notice a lot of microbubbles escaping the reaction chambers, I know I did.

I don't know if owning the deluxe, is like owning Windows 98 Second edition, I assume any kinks in the first one have been corrected in the "deluxe" model, but that might be naive of me.

When your flow is great enough I find that the Surface skimmer is of use, I see stuff getting sucked down all the time. And I liked the little media basket they have, it's a convenient place for my carbon.

I noticed stuff might collect at the very bottom of the skimmer (a few black specks), but I just shake vigourously, and rinse it out.

I don't think the prizm delux can out perform some of the big costly cylindircal skimmers out there, but keep in mind. I want a plankton and trace element friendly system, so I only skim a few days a week. All in all it suits my specific purposes very well. it's very slim,a nd hangs nicley on my tank.

If you were hoping on learning any kind of horrible design flaws, the only thing that bugs me are those littel specks that collect att the bottom, but I'm obsessive compuslive, and when I clean algae, I just let it drift around, so it ends up I my prefilter, and skimmer. The motor is audible, nothing to complain about (but then again my tank is in the basement, and I sleep 2 floors up.

For 40 gal, IMO, a prizm sounds more than adequate, seeing as the deluxe models are rated for 90 gal.

The anology I hear a lot is, even though a porshe is hugely more costly and showy than a neon, it will get you from A to B just the same (I'd rather not get into speed, and complciate the analogy). Just know your goals, if you do that, you'll never spend more than you have to.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.08(Mon)5:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the regular prizm and it works pretty well but I've heard that the new style is much better so far I like the prizms.
Submarine_Street
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.13(Sat)18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, sorry this might be a bit off topic but I just want to ask: I have a regular prizim skimmer, and usually when I make the water flow too fast the skimmer cup will be full and usually the junk in the cup will get sucked down the air tube, when the stuff gets stucked down the air tube will this pollute the tank?? becuase I don't have a filter carbon media basket. Thanks
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.26(Fri)11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

with it turned up do you still get the bubbles or foam in the collection cup? try to turn it down a bit and readjust it.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: