Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Are zebra loaches OK for a 10g tank?
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jen S
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.21(Thu)10:55    Post subject: Are zebra loaches OK for a 10g tank? Reply with quote

I have a 10 gallon tank that will be home for a male betta. Right now there are ghost shrimp (just for the heck of it) and pond snails (hitched a ride on the anubias Rolling Eyes ) in the tank. The betta is in a 2g bowl waiting for the tank to cycle.

I had originally planned to put white clouds, cherry red shrimp and an apple snail in the tank, but now that there are pond snails in there, I am considering zebra loaches instead.

1. Would they get along with a betta?
2. Would they do alright in a 10 gallon tank?
3. How many should make up a group?
4. Do they need sand or fine gravel?
5. Will they eat the shrimp?

I have course gravel at the moment, but I could make changes.
Shawna in CA
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.21(Thu)11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... the zebra loach is darling. They get to be 3" long, though, possibly 4", so you might want to skip them for this tank. You'd need 2 or 3 to keep them happy, and that's quite a bio load for the tank, not to mention the lack of swimming space because a 10g tank is "short".

In short tanks, you need short fish.

Is there some way you could borrow some, then take them back to the store once your snails are eradicated?
Jen S
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.21(Thu)13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was afraid there would not be enough room for them. Drat. They are very cute. Once I get a handle on the 10g tank, I guess I will have to convince my husband that we also need a 55g. Laughing

I had not considered 'borrowing' them! I'm not sure if I could do that or not. I have a friend with a 55g tank. Perhaps before buying any, I will ask him if he could give them a home once the snails are no longer a problem. I can't remember off hand what else he has in the tank, mostly barbs, I think. I know he lost some fish when he moved a while ago, so he might welcome some orphans.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: