Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Platy - Cycling - Pregnant!
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barney
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.21(Thu)9:41    Post subject: Platy - Cycling - Pregnant! Reply with quote

Hey. This is a quick but sad story. I am currently cycling a tank. I started to do a fishless cycle, but then my friends tank took a huge downfall, he had one Platy, and I knew these where Hardy fish, so I decided to rescue it (kinda) and use it as a cycling fish. What he didn't know, before his male Platy died, he did mate with the female, and my female is pregnant, has been for awhile now. I cannot give my water condition, but I am probably right bang in the middle of cycling so my conditions are not good at all. My Platy gave birth to 4 fry last night, I went down and checked at 3am as I was woken up, so I thought I'd check, and I was so happy when I saw 4 little platys. I came back down in the morning to find them all dead (atleast I think they where dead, they wanted move at all, even when gently proded.) I am pretty sure my Platy with give birth to some more tonight. Are the babies dying because of the cycling, and bad conditions? Or can fry live through it. Where those babies even dead?? Or do they just not move at all after 10ish hours after birth. This is the only tank in my house, I have done a lot of research, and yes, I know, it was silly of me to even take the fish, but he was going to put it to sleep via the freezer method. I actually have the Platy in a breeding box, that is inside the tank, as I didn't want the fry just swimming around a 30g tank, I wanted to keep an eye on them. Any help would be very thankful! I know some of you are not going to agree that I took the fish on, and using her in my cycling, but please don't be abusive towards me, tell me I shouldn't have etc. I would just like some help to save these babies Smile Thank you for reading all this.
Shawna in CA
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.21(Thu)10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think the babies are dying because of the cycling process. Very few fish are strong enough to handle it, and that would include fry, unfortunately.

Hopefully the female will make it.
Rotem
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.21(Thu)10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishless cycling allow you to reach amonia and nitrite levels that are higher than what a fish could withstand. Thus your platy is living in conditions that are much worse then in regular cycling.
That is what probably made her give birth. She probably dropped from the stress.

I don't think the fry (even if they were born alive) can stand your water paramaters (which I'm guessing are bad - btw how can you do fishless cycling without knowing the water params). I think they are a lost cause.

If you want to save the mother I would start with some major water changes. I'd do a 50% water change now, and after that about 20 percent every day, until you reach decent levels (Buy a test kit). This will also pretty much slow your cycling to a very slow process.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: