Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
When to remove convict fry or eggs?
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
finn-a-gin
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.21(Thu)9:40    Post subject: When to remove convict fry or eggs? Reply with quote

Should I remove the eggs or wait till fry are free swimming?
I have 8 that are a month old and a new batch come along about a week ago, but were consumed by the one month old fry.
I would like to raise them up a bit and use for feeders,when should I remove?
bohica
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.21(Thu)17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion you should'nt. You should instead remove the larger fry. Cichlids in general and convicts in particular are very good parents and generally speaking you will have a better survival rate letting them tend the eggs and raise the fry to saleable size.

Bo
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.21(Thu)21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear they are making babies for you finn. Since you still intend to grow them up for feeders and not for sale, I must say that I still stand by the plan that I suggested in this other thread where we were talking about it:
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=3968&highlight=

In order to successfully use the convict fry for feeders for your convict adults, I would never let them be hatched in the same tank as the adults. Once the fry get older than about a month, they are no good as feeders as they will escape into the rocks. Then you have an overpopulation situation on your hands. Like I suggested in the other thread, I would get a "production line" type of thing going where the clay pots were removed as soon as eggs are laid. As long as the growout tank has good clean moving water and you are careful to pick out any fungus eggs, you don't need the parents anymore. When feeding them back to the adults, you have to work the parents into a feeding mood then plop the fry in in small enough quantities for the adults to keep up. Otherwise, you are again going to have escapees...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: