Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Some Betta problems
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grungefreek
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.20(Wed)23:58    Post subject: Some Betta problems Reply with quote

Hi all, I have some questions on a couple of betta's living round my college.
The Betta down the corridoor has a rather swollen belly and raised scales. So I looked through some sites and it seems as if it has dropsy. The problem with this is that they say the fish should die in about 15 days. But this fish has been like this for months, like over 6 months, and doesn't seem affected, he eats fine and swims around, hes just fat. No water params available as he lives in a little bowl and yeah, Uni students don't buy fish equiptment. So advice on this one would be good.

Now My betta also is acting rather strange. He was doing fine untill I went away for a few weeks and the person looking after him didn't clean his water real often. So he developed fin rot. So when I got back I improved his water conditions etc etc and got his fins to start growing back. But ever since he just hasn't been the same. Now all he does is sits on the bottom of the tank, digs his head into the gravel or plant, and is white around the face with pale body colouring, and doesn't flare. I looked around for a cause and the closest I got was depression, but he still eats fine. No params available on this one either, he lives in a 12L aquarium on his own.

OK so advice on these bettas would be much appreciated, thanks
Grungefreek
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please help!!!! The fishes conditions are worsening as time passs by, response will be good thanks!!!!!!
Jen S
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear about your betta. You might try bettastarz.com. They have a list of diseases (some with pictures) and medications. For poor appetite, loss of color, sluggishness and depression they suggest Aquatronics Bettamax and water changes. What are you using to treat the fin rot?

As far as the fat betta, maybe he is just being overfeed?

I wish I could help you more. I have only had my betta for a couple of weeks. Best of luck.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like in addition to the fin rot he's got internal parasites. I would treat the tank/bowl with melafix and maracin for at least a week and see if that helps.

If indeed he does have dropsy it may just be that he's a stronger fighter and eventually will succumb to it, but I would aim for treating the fin rot and for possible internal parasites.
Grungefreek
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.24(Sun)2:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I havent actually traeated the finrot with anything, I just improved water conditions, that got the fins growing back. I might try some melafix see if that can bring back my littles fishies colour, he used to be so happy. As for the fat fish down the corridoor, well he is very tough so maybe thats whats keepin him going, dunno, see what happens I guess. thanks for the help guys I ll update on the results
Smile
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: