Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
10 gallon nano
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TetraKeeper808
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.20(Wed)16:58    Post subject: 10 gallon nano Reply with quote

OK well I want to be a marine biologist ever since the 1st grade and the closer I get to college the more expierience I think I need, so I thought a sw tank would be a good way to help learn more specifics about saltwater environments. heres the low-down
I will be transfering my 10g fish to other tanks and making it a sw tank. first ?, the tank is from Petsmart, it has been a fw tank for 2-3 years is it OK to make it a sw tank without cracking?
next is how many watts per gallon does a sw tank need?
will a duetto internal filter be OK for help in the circulation deprt.? I plan on getting a power head.
will a top fin heater be OK in sw?
I know I have ask about sw tanks before but now I am definetly going to do it, I got a good paying job, so $ is not a problem, you might be wondering then why I don't get a bigger tank? thats because I have no room.
any help would be great thanks.
besides clownfish, what other fish could go in a 10g? I realize only 1-2 really small fish could go in so what are the options? thanks
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.20(Wed)17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could change the tank to sw without it cracking. A lot of people change from fresh to salt without a problem. I'm not sure what a duetto internal filter is I never heard of that type. But here is a good site that will help you answer a lot of your questions its a great beginner site and they have a lighting section also I give it to everyone.

REEF KEEPING 101
http://www.reefcorner.com/Manual/lighting.htm

Some of the other types of fishes that can be kept in a 10 besides a clown might be a goby or blenny of some type.
chainsword
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.20(Sat)18:24    Post subject: Top Fin Heaters Reply with quote

I don't know much about saltwater tanks, but I will answer your question about the Top Fin heater...don't buy it! I work at Petsmart, and those are pretty crappy, there's no visual thermostat on there, just a "+" or "-" adjustmnet. My understanding is, if you're going to do saltwater, don't skimp on the equipment, especially the heater. I wouldn't go with Proaquatics either, because I hear stories about them turning on for no reason and boiling fish. I'd go with either the Hagan brand heater or the Rena heaters-that's if you plan to buy them at Petsmart.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.20(Sat)21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as heater go, I would have to agree with ChainSword. My perferred brand is Ebo-Jager. I have them in my 75. Best I've had yet. You can get them really inexpensive (cheaper then the rather cheap Petsmart brand) from Big Al's. I got those and my filter from them. With shipping it was still cheaper then the filter alone at a local store.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
panaque
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.22(Mon)2:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

clownfish in a ten gallon is pushing it. ocellaris or percula are the only one I would advise you on. Why not try some green chromis, damsels, blennies, yellow headed jawfish(one of my favorite fish!) gobies, royal grammas, or cardinal fish. These all stay small but I would suggest the damsels overall. They are quite hardy and come in a variety of colors. I wish you had more room as a ten gallon is not the best tank for someone starting out. They just don't have the water volume to provide stable conditions unless you are on it all the time. But I think you will do fine if you research all your facts first...remembr that most saltwater fish are wild caught and are a removed part of an ecosystem...cherish these creatures and they will provide you with many pleasant suprises. Remember to give lots of aeration and allow 2.5 gallons per inch of fish. You might be able to do more, say with 4 green chromis but try a protien skimmer if you do.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: