Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Trimming Glosso
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moebius
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.20(Wed)15:03    Post subject: Trimming Glosso Reply with quote

I had a nice carpet of short glosso and then over a couple weeks time it started to grow vertically. Too late, I noticed two of my CF's were burnt out, thus the vertical growth.

Questions:

1) Now that I have put in new CF's, can I merely trim the glosso down to the desired height?

2) Even before this, my glosso bed was so thick that runners were often 4-5 layers deep. the lower runners would then be devoid of light and turn yellow. It is mainly noticeable against the glass. Does glosso need to be physically thinned out, or is this normal?

75 gallon pH 6.8, Nitrate 5.0ppm, Phosphate .5ppm, Ammonia & Nitrites 0
GH & KH ~12 3wpg lighting
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.21(Thu)6:31    Post subject: Re: Trimming Glosso Reply with quote

[quote="Moebius"]1) Now that I have put in new CF's, can I merely trim the glosso down to the desired height?[quote]

Yes, we commonly refer to this as giving is a haircut. BTW, have your camera handy, you will get an amazing display of oxygen bubbles from the trimmed Glosso for the next several days. While this isn't true pearling it is nonetheless beautiful and fascinating to watch. Anyway, trim all the obvious vertical growth and either replant the pieces or toss them out.

Quote:

2) Even before this, my glosso bed was so thick that runners were often 4-5 layers deep. the lower runners would then be devoid of light and turn yellow. It is mainly noticeable against the glass. Does glosso need to be physically thinned out, or is this normal?

Yes. As you've noted, Glosso will begin to layer on top of itself and eventually choke out the bottom layers resulting in a real mess if left unchecked. The best solution is to "checker" your Glosso patch. I go through and cut 1" squares in a checkerboard pattern, combine this with a haircut and your Glosso will fill back in with a few weeks and be healthy and beautiful for several months again. Note, it's important to make sure you cut all the way down through the Glosso's roots so that you don't uproot the remaining Glosso too.
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.21(Thu)7:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

I appreciate the reply.

However, a little clarification on the checkerboard cut:

After I cut through the glosso in 1 inch squares, do I then remove the extra layers and give a haircut to the bottom layer? (I assume this was the purpose of the cut in the first place).
If so, would I not be removing the good top layers and keeping the bottom brown layers (or once I give a haircut to the brown bottom layer, will it green up again?)

Or am I merely supposed to perform the checkerboard cut and give a haircut to all layers at once?

Appreciative, but a little confused

Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.21(Thu)8:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moebius wrote:

After I cut through the glosso in 1 inch squares, do I then remove the extra layers and give a haircut to the bottom layer? (I assume this was the purpose of the cut in the first place).

Give all the Glosso a haircut to the height you prefer. Then thin out the Glosso by cutting the squares out. This will cause some initial browning and reveal some yellowish Glosso, the yellow growth will green up when it receives good light again and the new growth will begin within a few days. It will look a bit sick and icky for a week or so but should be better than before within a couple of weeks. Once the Glosso fills in the "open" squares you will probably have to give another manicure to even out the growth.[/quote]
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.21(Thu)9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, a little clearer now...I give a haircut to all the glosso, then I completely remove all the glosso from every other square in my checkerboard and let the glosso fill in from the still filled-in squares.

For those squared that are left filled in, should I not lift out some of the excess layers so that just the bottom/yellowish layer is left?

Just trying to be sure before I put my glosso under the knife...

Thanks again,

Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: