Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Julidochromis marlieri
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
actionman
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.20(Wed)3:10    Post subject: Julidochromis marlieri Reply with quote

What type of other cichlids can you keep with Julidochromis marlieri would electric yellows be suitable? And if not what is? (preferably colourful cichlids). And they would be put in a Four foot tank.

Thanks in advance
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)8:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow labs work well. Julies are tough little fish and since they are rock huggers they can be kept with some species that you wouldn't expect to be compatible.
Make sure there is plenty of rock work for all fish.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
ACE125
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, and just so you know, these fish do form lifetime pairs. They will not breed in groups like many cichlids. So buy a few juvies, and then once a pair has formed, remove the rest or they will most likely be killed. Wink
And provide lots of rockwork, these fish do cling to the rocks 90% of the time.
And if you looking for other fish, try some Cyprichromis Leptosoma. They are open water schooling cichlids and the males are very colorful! Also, some shell dwellers might be a nice addition too. Lamprologus ocellatus (the fish in my avitar), or Neolamprologus multifasciatus would be cool. You could even go with a Lake tang only tank if you can find the fish. Have you seen my tank? Any combo of mine should work in a 55 as well. The possibilities are quite vast, just do your research before you throw a bunch of cichlids in a tank, like so many people seem to do! Mad
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ace, how do you find the Lamprologus ocellatus and julies together?

I haven't tried it but really want to. Many have warned against such mixing as the Julies seem very aggressive to such dwarf cichlids.

P.S. amazing tank. Tanks like that deserve special recognition as it disproves the myth that no Africans work in a planted tank.
ACE125
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I had not heard this. I ran my fish list by the cichlid forum before I bought anything, and nobody said anything other than that it sounded OK. I have heard that Julies and Leleupi can have problems together in smaller tanks, since they are both rather aggressive rock dwellers. But I haven't had any problems, nor have I with them and the ocellatus. My fish are just starting to reach breeding age though, so I guess problems could still occur in the future. As of now my largest Julie is probably 3" and my largest Ocellatus is probably not quite 1.5". The ocellatus really spend most of there time in the open water, only retreating to there shells to sleep at night or when they feel threatened. And my Julies spend there time in and around the rock pile on the left of my tank, generally only coming out for food. Since they each call a different place home, I would think it should be fairly easy to keep them apart. Just put the shells on one side of the tank and the rock on the other. Wink But really J. Marlieri and J. Regani are the only two "big" julies. If you wanted a nice match for some shell dwellers J. Dickfeldi, J. Ornatus,and J. Transcriptus all max out at about 3" instead of 5" or 6".
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know Ace... thanks.

Will probably do something similar with Julies, shell dwellers and some Leptosoma in a planted tank.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: