Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Confusion over fish sizes.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gus-Gus
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.20(Wed)1:23    Post subject: Confusion over fish sizes. Reply with quote

I was looking through my copy of Axelrod's Mini-Atlas of Freshwater Aquarium Fishes and am now rather confused regarding fish sizes.
I have black neon tetras, cardinals and neons. According to Axelrod, the black neons grow to 3cm, the cardinals to 5cm and the neons to 4cm. When I got the black neons they were smaller than the neons and cardinals but they are now much bigger than the neons and the cardinals. The black neons are around 3.5 to 4cm and their bodies are deeper. My cardinals seem to have peaked at around 3cm and don't seem to be getting any bigger. Can anyone shed any light on this situation? They are all getting the same food and the neons and cardinals, apart from their size, seem to be in good health with strong colouration. The neons and the black neons were kept in a same tank but I recently moved the neons out to another tank (but of the same size). The cardinals are in a smaller tank but there are less fish in that tank.
Also, does anyone know how to tell the difference between False Neon Tetras and Neon Tetras? The False Neons are smaller (according to Axelrod) but apart from that what other differences are there?
Thanks
Danco
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.20(Wed)7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black neons are super hardy compared to cardnial and neons.
I started my tank with them through its cycle they have breed 2 times since so I have more than I really want now. type of food, and water quality might be a factor and the speed at wich they grow my blacks are larger than my cardnials especally girth and the first set of fry are the size of my cardnials now. inmo blacks grow very fast comparitvly about 4months fry to full size.

sorry, I have zero experance with regular neons but since its the most popular fish out there I sure someone else can help on that.
Quod edero spinem
Popoculus nautus sum
Choice Words
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.21(Thu)14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look up Black neons online. They are supposed to be larger than regular neon tetras. I've never heard of a false neon tetra, but maybe it exists and I've never heard of it, I don't know.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: