Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My New Tank
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeyBlade
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.19(Tue)22:39    Post subject: My New Tank Reply with quote

I have a two gallon tank with out a heater, what kind of fish should I get? Question
Shawna in CA
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.20(Wed)0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

A single male betta is about the only thing you can put in there, and even they enjoy a constant temperature.

Is there any way you could add a small heater?
McSamster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.20(Wed)5:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry this isn't an answer to your question. But what are your measurements?! I've never seen a 2gal tank before. It must be absolutely tiny.
chriscrob
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.20(Wed)9:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the temperature in your house? If the air in your house is relatively constant you'll probably be OK. Make sure you check that it doesn't drop or shoot up at any time during the day. Some people program their thermostats higher during the day while they're not home make sure yours stays the same. A 1 or 2 degree F swing is probably OK but a big swing will stress your fish. My room stays at 75 degrees all day long and I have two unheated tanks with tropical fish and I've never had any problems. Take your time acclimating the fish if they come from a heated tank but if you get a male betta it probably won't come from one. White Cloud Minnows do well in coldwater tanks but will probably want more room to swim than a 2 gallon.
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.21(Thu)1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could also try keeping a few different types of gobies in there- bumblebee, peacock, knight etc and they could even breed in there! Search the board for more info on these.
KeyBlade
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.04(Thu)21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you. My dad gave me a 10 gallon with a heater and filter. I have 2 danio and had 2 platys til one died. my stupid brother turned off the filter and air to my pirat ship. my dad is making me wait until the tank is cycled before adding anymore fish. I want to get sunset platys. I saw them in a store and they are nice. I can't wait how many can I have?
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.09.04(Thu)21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

None, I'm afraid.

Platies get too large for a 2 gallon, and they produce too much waste to be safely kept in a tank that size.

If you meant the 10 gallon tank, I'd go no more than two females--they'll drop babies almost certainly, and that still gives you some room for other fish in the tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.06(Sat)0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeyBlade wrote:
my dad is making me wait until the tank is cycled before adding anymore fish.
Good advice...Sounds like you have a very smart Dad Wink

KeyBlade wrote:
I want to get sunset platys...how many can I have?
Since you now have a 10 gallon tank, I would say you could have 3 platys total. How many did your Dad recommend already?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: