Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Egg Sack?
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mintleopard
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.19(Tue)18:43    Post subject: Egg Sack? Reply with quote

OK I have something very strange in my tank. On one of my hornwort bunches there is a small leaf from my sunset hygro which seems to have been "cut" in half and wrapped unto a branch. Its almost cocoon like and I can see something moving inside it. The sack is at most a centimeter long and the thing inside doesn't always move and when it does it undulates very fish like. I have NO idea what it could be because the only fish in my tank are four kuhli, a betta, and 3 peppers corys as well as 3 otos.
I also have a some snails unfortunately though all they do is lay eggs and eat my plants....nothing to this magnitude. I'm REALLY puzzled by this, so if anyone has any idea what it could be please please feel free to let me know!!

I know you folks are reading this! I'm really curious as to what it is, I'm tempted to open it up to see but I don't want to kill it. It's really strange so even if you have a though of what it could be could you mention it? I'm totally at a loss.
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.20(Wed)4:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would put it in a small tank with an airfilter and see what you get! Can you see if there is a yolk sac in it?
Max
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.20(Wed)11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us updated if you do find out I am very curious to know what it is.
Mintleopard
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.20(Wed)21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know something dawned on me...I bought an amazon sword awhile ago and one of the leaves was curled...I thought it was a new leaf. Well due to some voracious snails its the only leaf left and its still curled!!! I wonder if there is something in it as well.
I'm gonna put it and my piece of hornwort with the mystery sack on it in my nano to see if there's anything in it...I'm very very curious...too bad no one here has any idea either.
wetmanNY
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.24(Sun)21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even from your description it does sound like an insect larva. Have pond-raised plants come into your aquarium in the last month?
Mintleopard
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope not that I know of....all my plants are from the big als
the little thing its insect for sure...I opened up the leafy thing its green and caterpillar like with a brown head....probably more like two big brown eyes.
its very skinny and probably half a centimeter long...maybe a bit longer but not by much. it also rebuilt its home after I wrecked it so it maybe be a bug that stays this way? who knows! but it sure is puzzling.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: