Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Ghost Shrimp
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TetraKeeper808
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.19(Tue)17:02    Post subject: Ghost Shrimp Reply with quote

are ghost shrimp just bottom pickers or do they eat algae? thanks
Shawna in CA
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.19(Tue)17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

They eat algae and food & anything else they can catch, except for fish. LOL! They pick it from leaves, from tank decorations, from the tank bottom... they're all around really good cleaners.
JewelsRCute
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.19(Tue)18:23    Post subject: mine Reply with quote

When I feed mine (I have 4) they dart up to the top grab a flake and run back down the side of the tank and eat. It's cool when you feed bloodworms because you can see the red going through their bodies. There really fun shrimp for about .20cents. don't have any crabs or frogs in there because they will get eaten!!! I learned the hard way. Poor casper.....
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.19(Tue)20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone has had the same experience that I had....they eat the Malaysian trumpet snails.

Its hard to tell if they just ewere cleaning up the dead, or actually killing them.....but if they are doing the former, the snails must not like my tank...lol

I also noticed one(Mts) climbing up the glass, which accidentally knocked down to the sand. By evening, it was ghost lunchmeat(ghost shrimp was acting like someone trying to get the last bits of a slushie at the bottom of a cup with no straw). They eaten around 10, ....and I'm starting to feel they're are no more llarge ones left in this tank.

Then again, maybe its cause snails that end up in my tanks just disappear.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.19(Tue)22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buyer beware: I don't think all shrimp SOLD as ghost shrimp are truly that species.

Then again, "ghost shrimp" is a common name....

My terrible two shrimp I had for over a year: they ate everything from MTS to apple snails to all the food I tossed in. They'd fight over bits of carrot, shrimp, and the like...I'm also 99% sure that they killed my female molly and favorite brochis cat....

They never touched algae, but I got a ton of eggs from them almost every month, which they promptly ate....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.20(Wed)22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

True....Shawna found that out quite crazily.

But I'm pretty sure these are ghost shrimp. They havent eaten any of my hets(who are about half the size of the shrimp), as they arent quick enough. The are quite maneuverable though, and I often see one snatch snatch a piece of flake, and then"take off" and hover helicopterlike to keep his tidbit from the other shrimp.

Lots of different species are sold as ghost shrimp. Ususally form Paleometes(spelling?).
MK
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taratron wrote:
Buyer beware: I don't think all shrimp SOLD as ghost shrimp are truly that species.

Smile
Hi.. would you please post a link to a photo of them?
I do have shrimps in my tank, but I think they are
Yamato nuba ebi (Shrimps of the yamato swamp)
or better known as Caridina japonica (Amano's shrimps)
Wink

Quote:
They never touched algae, but I got a ton of eggs from them almost every month, which they promptly ate....

If any similitude occours with amano's shrimps, eggs simply Cannot
be taken to any "ripening" or maturation because of the lack of SALT
in the water. Shrimps actually do reproduce in at least semi-salted waters
for a Very good reason: they use salt to build theyr external skeleton
(esoskeleton?)
Greetings..
MK!
giddyland
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.24(Sun)1:05    Post subject: question Reply with quote

I just got 3 ghost shrimps. I read that you are supposed to add iodine in the water for them. Is this neccessary? I also have danios, I don;t think iodine would do well with them no? how you guys take care of them and do you ever have a problem with them jumping out while gravel cleaning?
MK
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.24(Sun)5:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do want shrimp larvae to develop into adults, You DO have to add salt (iodine, if you prefer) into the water. For this reason, larvae should be taken into a different dedicated tank..
I do have a good friend who did grow some of them but I do not know if I could post a link to His site here... Wink
He his Italian, by the way, like I am.. Smile
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: