Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
50 gallon planted.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poorboy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.19(Tue)10:42    Post subject: 50 gallon planted. Reply with quote

I'm looking at planting a 50 gallon tank for my community fish...

Three questions: substrate, filtration, heating, and co2?

Substrate, I'm looking for something 'natural' none of this neon blue or green rock... What do you guys recommend? as far as like fine rock, sand, etc...etc.

filtration, I'm looking at sticking two penguin 170s on either end of the tank.. I recall people saying these weren't ideal for plants?

heating, I am going to buy a ebo-jager.. but what size do I need for a fifty? Do I need two of them? One on each side?

co2... Do I need to buy a co2 system to help the plant growth or anything?

I live in phoenix az... my water is very alkaline.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.19(Tue)11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Substrate: "Dark Walnut" or dark "River Bottom"/"River Pebbles". These are general a natural dark rock polished smooth. If your getting plants you can add or just run Flourite as well.

Filtration: The 340g/hr should be fine for mechanial filtration. If you are going to inject CO2 into the tank, you won't want to run the bio-wheels. It will take the CO2 out of solution. If you have not bought your filters yet, consider looking into canisters. They are a little hard to get used to. I picked up a Magnum 350 for my 75 and I'm quite happy with it.

Heater: You could probably get away with a 200-250w. Personally I would go with at least two 150. You get redunancy and less hot/cold zones in the coldest months.

CO2: *note: I have yet to run CO2 myself. Unless your running over 2.5wpg you most likely not need it. If you have very demanding plants you might need it. I'm running 200w on a 75gal tank. No trouble growing plants.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: