Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Kuhli loaches, bioload.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trill the man
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.19(Tue)5:17    Post subject: Kuhli loaches, bioload. Reply with quote

Okay, Kuhli loaches have to be some of the coolest fish around, so I wish to keep some. However, they can reach 4 inches in length. I only have a 20g tank, and wish to keep a small variety of tetras and rasboras. Though if I added say 5 kuhli loaches, would this take up 20 inches worth of fish?! I was wondering, because they are thin, how much they affect the bioload.
I will be setting up to add a small school of black neons, harlequin rasboras, cardinal tetras, with about 6-7 in each. Is this too much with kuhlis?
Thanks, Phil Wink
bohica
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.19(Tue)16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ol' inch per gallon rule is out moded but a lot of people adhere to it still to this day. And I guess in the bread and butter fishes it still works fairly well.

To answer your question...No. 5 4" Kuhli loaches does not equal 20 gallons of bio-load. With their light appitites and slender build they take up very little of a tanks resources. This is of course assuming that you are using sound aquarium practices. Water changes, over filtration, lite feeding etc...

Bo
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.19(Tue)19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuhli loaches are perfect examples of just how limited these population 'rules' are. I treat them as small Tetras or Rasboras for bioload purposes. Your plan looks OK in terms of bioload, but aesthetically (which of course is very personal) I wouldn't mix so many small group species like that. In your aquarium they will eventually stop grouping much and just spread out randomly throughout the tank, resulting in a rather undefined mix with no focus point. I would sooner go for an 'Asian Theme' with a group of Kuhlis at the bottom, a group of Rasboras for movement, and then a pair of larger focus fish like a Dwarf or Honey Gourami couple.
Trill the man
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.22(Fri)12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thank you for the info Smile . I will consider the idea of an asian theme tank. Thing is I have only one tank, and really like small fish. Though I also love gouramis Smile .

Cheers Wink Phil
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: