Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
a fish called whale
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
froggyhi
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.19(Tue)1:03    Post subject: a fish called whale Reply with quote

I was browsing the fish selection at a petshop one day and I saw a fish that was labeled "whale" or something along the lines of something-something whale. I didn't think to write the name down, but I'm hoping someone here knows the name off the top of their head, and has a picture that I can compare it to. In the store it was a dark blue-grey and was torpedo shaped with a very round, blunt face, and was maybe 3-4" long and maybe 3/4"-1/2" tall.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.19(Tue)1:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean a "baby whale?"

I do believe they have some relation to knives....I've read that they use electrical currents to hunt prey.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
EndlikeriEskort
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.19(Tue)7:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the baby whale is in the morimyrid (sp?) family, along with the elephant noses. It isn't really related to knifefish, but it does use electrical currents to find its prey.
bohica
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.19(Tue)16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, The above info is correct. I am sorry to say that I would avoid this specie as they are very finicky eaters and rarely thrive in the aquarium. I am speaking generally so don't be surprised if the next person writes that they have had great luck and been keeping them for years! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Bo
ashleighscott
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.20(Wed)20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without knowing anything about mormyrids, I rescued a neglected elephant nose fish a few months ago. Much research later I can honestly say that as fascinating as these guys are, they are not suited most aquariums. All mormyrids are wild caught and come from Africa, so have been through a great deal of trauma to begin with. They eat almost exclusively live foods which can be hard to provide and may introduce disease into an aquarium. They are very territorial and get too large for most aquariums. They are notorious for jumping out of tanks and ending up dead on the floor...the opening doesn't have to be a big one either, they can escape through a small hole. Also their environmental requirements are quite complex...they come from African floodplain swamps where the water is very soft and acidic, shallow, dark and murky with decaying plant matter. Few other fish could thrive with such a low pH and high acidity, but the mormyrids probably wouldn't fare well without these conditions. I would only recommend these fish if someone wanted to invest the time, money, and effort to set up a biotope aquarium specifically to meet their needs, which actually wouldn't be much more difficult than setting up a regular aquarium, it would just take some research. Sorry for the long reply!
froggyhi
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.21(Thu)16:47    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for all the info. I'll definitely not be buying that fish. I wish a big chain pet store wouldn't offer a fish like that, especially since they have no indicators that it is such an advanced/difficult fish to care for.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: