Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New behaviour in my angels...
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)19:37    Post subject: New behaviour in my angels... Reply with quote

I noticed today two of my angels were facing off. Locking mouths for a second and breaking off. Then they would lean all sideway. The others, 4, gave them plenty of room. At this point I'm assuming they were setting up dominance. They still all pack together when they think they are getting fed though.. intersting.

2 questions:

1) Can you confirm what this behaviour is?

2) Can you suggest a good reading selection on angel behaviour for more information?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. It is, without a doubt, cichlid behavior. Twisted Evil I've seen it happen between fish I thought were establishing a pecking order and I've seen it happen between possible mates testing each other. I'd definetly think it was a good thing if you're interested in them picking out mates...for mine it was always a "coming of age" sign.

2. Good question. I've actually not come across an angel book that I thought really tought me anything. They're such a common species there are really in depth articles on the web that actually go into further detail than most books (unlike most species.) I bought a handful of the "less than 10 dollar paperback books" on angels once, and I enjoy flipping through them. They have good picture shots and I guess it's a decent reference for a description of their natural habitat, etc. If you're interested in angelfish genetics, I can post you a few links that are really good for that.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.19(Tue)8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, good. This is the sort of behaviour that I've been waiting for. They are quite a good size now. I noticed they starting to get a little more aggressive. Until the past 2 weeks, they only got territorial in the evening when finding a place to sleep. This is an intesting differnce to my african lakes, whom I've never seen directly square off. I'll start up a google when I get the chance.

Hopefully I'll get a pair out of this bunch. Just for resale value. Not a terribly good looking group, this one. But I got to see them grow up and such so that was nice. A couple of them their top fin is floppy and "broke". I'll have to see if the store carry a better strain or get some shipped in. Maybe I'll go with mixed colors this time.

Do you have those links handy? If I mixed colors I don't want to accidently make ugly or defective fish. IE, a double black and "sunset" yellow mixed.

Thanks for the info.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.19(Tue)11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the genetics go...you won't get defective fish out of any pairs. It's just a matter of deciding which traits you like the look of. Nearly every combination of the known genetic traits has a name and is a recognized "strain." Some strains may be worth more on the market than others and some strains may be worth more to you because of what you like.

I hate the "broken top fin" look that's so common in veils, which is one reason I don't keep any veils. It actually is something that serious breeders won't accept (the broken fin, not veils,) but you see a lot of pet shop quality ones with it (both veils and regulars.) If you're interested in breeding them, it's probably worth your time to secure healthy stock. There's a big difference in appearance of top notch angelfish and the ones that show up in most LFS. That said, sometimes I'll walk into a LFS that has some beautiful angelfish stock...usually if you push them for information it's a local hobbyist that's taken great care of his fish. When you see those fish, you'll just know. There won't be any weak ones in the tank and they'll be begging up a storm with perfect finnage.

The biggest name in angelfish genetics is Dr. Joanne Norton. You can read her original work here.

Also, I thought Steve at Angelsplus did a good job explaining the genetics and this is a good cheat sheet of the traits.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: