Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Salt question (split from "newbie w/10g" thread)
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steven
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have a new 63litre tank and have recently put some platies and albino cories in. I also intend to get some mollies and guppies in a few weeks time. I heard that adding some salt to the tank would be best for the mollies and platies, but will it affect the cories or guppies?
Choice Words
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Platys, guppies, and other live bearers are often reported to want salt in their water. After researching on my own, I agree with the school of thought that they do not need or want brackish water. Freshwater Fish Like Fresh Water (thanks sul)

Mollies, however, ARE brackish fish that do best in a specific gravity of 1.005-1.010. IMHO, they should be kept in a true brackish tank, not in a community of mixed brackish and freshwater fish. It's happier overall.

The corys are sensitive to salt, and adding it with them will not be good for their health.

I would recommend getting the guppies if you want, but skip the mollies. And skip the salt. Also, watch your stocking levels, because livebearers are dirtier fish than some, and having that many different livebearers in one ~13 gallon tank is a lot, especially when you take into consideration the fact that they WILL be having lots of fry if you have mixed sexes.
Steven
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll just get a few guppies and leave it at that then, thanks for the advice
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

About mollies.....there are several "strains" of molly out there. Black, lyretail, sailfin, orange gold, the works.

The majority of the ones found in lfs, I've been told, are raised in the Florida area, in freshwater.

I think the idea of adding salt to freshwater fish tanks stems from the point that livebearers are hardwater fish--and salt helps to keep and make the water hard.

Now, about what we call salt....there are two types of salt on the fw market. One is branded as "aquarium salt," and the other is tank for marine fish tanks.

To get a brackish tank, you need the marine version of salt. The other form of salt, the "aquarium salt," is not going to change salinity as would the marine salt.

Also, most tetras and catfish can't handle any salt in their water. Neither can live plants.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: