Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
American Dwarf Frogs
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Widower
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)9:55    Post subject: American Dwarf Frogs Reply with quote

Hey, can anyone give me any information on these?
I saw them down my local store and fell in love.
But I manage to resist myself in to buying one before I found out more about them.
I searched on the net but couldn't really find much information,
Only other peoples experience with them.
Can anyone tell me temperature? pH? etc. etc.
Can they be put in a non-cycled tank, or only cycled. etc.
Thanks for any help.
kojin
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)10:36    Post subject: ADF's Reply with quote

I have 3 African Dwarf frogs. First, make sure the ones you saw in the store are not African Clawed frogs. African Clawed frogs don't have webbed feet.
The major difference between ADF and ACF is that the clawed frog grows much much larger. While the Dwarf frog only grows to about 2 inches, the african clawed frog triples that size. The two variations should not be kept together as there is a risky that the bigger frog will eat the smaller one.

Now that thats over, if they are really ADFs.

Then the following applies:

1) pH between 6.5<pH<7.4
2) temperature 25degrees celsius
3) food: frozen bloodworms, chopped up krill (freeze dried food not recommend, as it can clog their intestines, flake food will not be eaten by these guys)
4) tank coinhabitants *( see below)
5) the frogs are highly sensitive to ammonia, so they must be put into an already cycled tank.

*while the frogs are friendly, I would not recommend keeping fish with the frogs for the sole reason that the frogs are slow to find their food. If you were to keep fish with these frogs, there is a good chance that they will eat all the food before the frog finds it, and starving frog(s) to death.

Some people have kept ADFs with fish, and you can ask them for input on how they manage to make sure the frogs get fed, but I would recommned that you first put them into their own tank, and get used to their behaviour and eating habits before you make the decision to stick them in a community tank.
Mike
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lnk off my website to an excellent site on African Dwarf Frogs (not American)

www.g0tjg.btinternet.co.uk
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people on this site have had dwarf african frogs eat their fish, including adult female bettas. While this is somewhat unusual, the frogs will eat anything that moves and will fit in thier mouth, so be careful.
Also, as already mentioned, keeping them with fish makes it hard for the frogs to get food.
Another concern is that they tend to escape frequently, and if they dry out, they will slough thier skin and possibly die, so make sure the top of the tank is covered.
JewelsRCute
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.19(Tue)18:33    Post subject: ff Reply with quote

Easy to care for. love bloodworms and flake food. Live totally in the water. They are african though not american. I had four in a ten gallon and make sure they have places to hide. At least one place. They will float on the top of the water so make sure you have friendly fish that won't pick at them. DO NOT HAVE CRABS! crabs will try to catch and kill them. I don't know about clawed frogs though because they are illegal where I live. But dwarf frogs stay about 2 inches. 3 all stretched out. They can make their legs do some funny things. yoga stuff.
Pam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.19(Tue)20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do keep a pair of them in my 55G community tank. So far, so good (about 7 months). They do get about 2 inches. I haven't seen them attack any fish.

To deal with the feeding problems I hand feed. So essentially pinch up a few of the frozen bloodworms and deliver to the frog's head. They are trainable enough to come out at feeding time, and identify fingers with dinner. The only down side to that is siphoning time... One did go for quite a ride... Smile

A syringe works well too.
Widower
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.20(Wed)15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
Wow, it sounds like you all have had good experiences Smile
I think once my new tank is cycled I will add just the one.
Do they get lonely? It's only a small tank, so don't really want 2.

By the way, what does siphoning mean ?
And why is it a down side?

Thanks Smile
Pam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.21(Thu)9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siphoning means using a siphon to remove water and "crud" off the bottom of your tank. Generally this is done every week or two depending on your bioload (number of fish) and other factors like filtration, plants, etc. Someone else can like give you a better idea of what your tank would need. In my case, while vacuuming the gravel I also sucked up one of my nosy little frogs. Thus giving him a spin through the hose. Happily I noticed before I dumped the water out into the snowbank. Sad I don't think he would have appreciated that much somehow.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: