Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
copper tetras, ich or anchor worm?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lupus
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)8:58    Post subject: copper tetras, ich or anchor worm? Reply with quote

hello. I have four copper tetras with a nasty desease. Not intirely sure, wether it is ich or anchor worm. The desease killed 2 of my golden rams. I tried to save the rams by increasing temp, partial water changes and turned off the lights, this didn't help one bit of coarse. The copper tetras now show signs of small white marks on the body and not on fins. One of the tetras look as though the mouth has been eaten away a bit, very worrying. I am currently treating with Protozin, situation improved slightly, though I am worried about the mouth situation. iam on the 5th day of medication. The copper tetras show erratic swimmin motions while the rams where showing typical scratcing behavoir. PLease help. Am I using the right medication? Crying or Very sad
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tested your water parameters? Ammonia / Nitrite?
It doesn't sound like anchor worm, more likely Ich.
Rot around the mouth sounds like a secondary bacterial infection.

Have a look here and see what you think:

http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html#External
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will need you to post there information asked for in here....
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=453

If you have pictures that would help as well. Also, what is your normal water change routine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lupus
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)10:03    Post subject: secondary bacteria infection Reply with quote

How serious is this secondary bacteria infection. Would I have to use euthenasia on this infected fish? can't give you exact Nitrate and Ammonia readings. It is a reasonably new 60l diamand tank, a month and a bit old. It has a corner filter plus a sponge filter, plus zeolite. However the corner filter plus zeolite is out while medicating. It is thickly planted with amazon swords and anubias, angel tears. pH is 6.8. Also contains bogwood. Was using bio vital for the start up of the tank and a 5 in 1 conditioner(aqutan) by sera. I introduced the rams after 3 weeks of setup and at that stage ammonia plus nitrate, nitrite where 0. I added the 4 copper tetras 4 days after the rams, this was clearly a bad move. The copper tetras showed erratic signs straight away, though I thought this to be in their nature as they chase each other around a lot. I think the tetras brought in the desease. Embarassed
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quite usual that if you have bought some poor quality stock they will have more than one disease. Don't go killing off any of your stock just yet.

If your tank's parameters are how they should be it's unusual to see no ammonia / Nitrite and no Nitrate. This is possible if the tank is heavily planted but I would still test your water for all three a.s.a.p.

If you are on day five with your meds and showing no improvement it's likely that it is not working. I would do a 20% water change everyday for the next few days, don't forget to treat new water for chlorine and chloramine.

What is the corner filter you have removed? What sponge filter are you using? Is it big enough to cope on it's own?
lupus
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.19(Tue)12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Thanks for your imput so far. The corner filter contained activated bone charcoal, that would have absorbed the medicine. The sponge filter has 2 cylindrical sponge peices 15x6cm, succioned to the side of the tank. The situation seems to be improving though I can still see the ich, or what I think is ich. The mouth problem seems to be healing. All 4 fish are still actively feeding. I had a snails moving at pace around my tank today, got rid of them cos I love my plants too much. Though I read that if your snails are feeding and moving fast, your quality of water is good, is this true? the copper tetras are of 2 males and 2 females I think, males are exhibiting intence copper, and white flecks. The males are constantly chasing the females, who seem to be suffering the most, one of which has the mouth infection.

I really tried hard to save the golden rams by doing partial waters changes each day, raised temp to 30 and turned lights off. however I have heard that golden rams are much weaker cos they have been ingenered, whilst the blue form are wilder and hence stronger. If a tank is corrupted by ich or other desease, can you kiss golden rams goodbye Question They were doing so well before I inserted the copper tetras, they were courting and everything. I originally set up the tank for blue rams but got golden rams instead cos couldn't find the blue at the time. I hope eventually to install the blue rams one day, as they were the reason for my putting 2 filters in and many plants. I will do the 20%water changes and have the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels tested asap. Wink
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: