Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Alge eaters
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PharCyde
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.01(Mon)6:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

From experience the redtail is to big and aggressive for a 10 gal. Redtails and Rainbow sharks tend to be quite teritorial and a 10 gal isnt big enough for this behaviour. The Redtail is closer relation to flying foxes than SAE, however saying that, it all relates back to the size of your tank. You can have flying foxes and Redtails in the same tank together in relative peace but as long as the tank is big enough for them to have their relative space. ITs like having a cat and a dog put in a small box, just won't work but you can easily have both in your house.
I would go for smaller fish because from experience Redtails tend to pick on fish of similar size. Hope that helps.
Tsartetra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)9:50    Post subject: Oops.. Reply with quote

I guess it was in my Subject heading, but not in my message: I have a 10 gallon and did have an Angel and Re-Tail in the 10, but they are now in the 44 gallon I started early July. I saw what I now know as Diatomaceous algae and wondered what it was and what I could put in there to control it and other algae (I hadn't seen diatom algae in my experiences w/ 10 gallon tanks). I bought a bristlenose yesterday and hope he'll keep my algae in ckeck.... I understand they need veggies, is there anything special I need to do to it before I put it in there? I put a small slice of cucumber rubber-banded to a rock yesterday, did I do anything wrong? Just curious as I have had Plecos before, but no Ancistrus....the Plecos grew big regardless of what I did....just need pointers on my bushy-nose/bristlenose.

Thanks.
Dent
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Otocinclus catfish are known to eat diatom algae, but higher light levels can also kill this algae as well. Normally the brown algae is related to low light levels or the commencement of the aquarium. If its on the glass it could be removed biologically (with fish) or artificially (with a cloth or a scrubber).

Ancistrus catfish according to Axelrod are omnivorous, and chew on driftwood and also from experience can eat algae wafers like those that Hikari make. Some veggies can be used, I think Zucchinni or Cucumber without the skins or seeds and boiled till they are soft for the algae eaters to consume can also be used.

Bristlenoses are more active at night as well, so maybe feeding them after the lights are out may be a benefit to the fish.
PharCyde
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't read the subject Smile I've found bristlenoses to be hardy as. They are the only original fish left in my tank and they were there when it cycled or close to it. Just feed them wafers and let them at the algae
Tsartetra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.05(Fri)11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a bristlenose Monday and by Wednesday, all algae (aside from very tiny green spot) was gone! My Anubia(sp?) had a number of leaves covered in diatomic and it was growing in patches on the sides of the tank. Not anymore! I'm in love with this little guy......
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: