Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Black kuhlis and sand substrate
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)3:38    Post subject: Black kuhlis and sand substrate Reply with quote

I recently redid my 10 gallon betta tank, removed all the gravel, and tossed in sand as substrate. I figured that my pygmy cories and kuhlis would love the change.

But other than the cories mildly stressing out (the lfs I got them from had gravel substrate too....maybe they were unused to sand?), I've seen no real change in behavior...

Unless you count the fact that the kuhlis seem more active--and not as prone to dart under the sand as they were with the gravel. Why is this? You'd think with an easier to burrow through substrate they'd be tunneling like mad.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unless you count the fact that the kuhlis seem more active--and not as prone to dart under the sand as they were with the gravel. Why is this? You'd think with an easier to burrow through substrate they'd be tunneling like mad.....

Usually if you provide a species with adequate shelter, they feel more confident and spend more time in the open. Perhaps they are just not used to it....
My cories loved the sand as soon as it was put in, but I left a bit of gravel in the tank too. As of now, they stay in the sand for approximately 90% of their time. They love it.
You made sure there was enough bacteria remaining in the substrate, right? Did you leave any gravel in to culture the sand?
Okay, pygmys. They are more senstive to changes, maybe the bacteria loss shocked them, or maybe the nitrate or something went way down with the change.....
*ponders*
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all very odd. I've done water changes, water tests, and everything comes out normal. 0 for ammonia, chlorine, nitrite. 30ppm or below for nitrates.

Yet the pygmies have color one day, and are paler the next.

The kuhlis don't even seem to care.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bohica
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any environmental change is stressful. Give it a week or two and see what happens. Keep monitoring the water for spikes. You did use aquarium specific sand or some other chemically inert sand did'nt you?

Bo
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: