Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Reflectors..... Gonna make my own.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.18(Fri)8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shark,

If you paint the underside, let us know how it goes please. I would like to know how it works out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The Chaos Theory
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.18(Fri)11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just added tinfoil to the inside of mine today, seems a lot brighter, at least to the naked eye it does, I dunno how much more actual light is going into the water but every little bit helps.
fufanu
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.21(Mon)23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is something called tinfoil tape. its much easyer to use than trying to get mylar or tinfoil to stick to your reflector. it can be found in home supply stores where they sell ductwork.
Brain

PostPosted: 2003.04.30(Wed)11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with the mylar answer. You can buy mylar with an extremly adhesive backing. 3m makes it. When it is applied to a smooth surface it looks like a slightly dull mirror. It would be the easiest method. If you can't find it anywhere, you might try a sign shop. I used to work at one and we used it all the time. Great stuff.

PostPosted: 2003.04.30(Wed)12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX, you're kidding about the popcans I hope.

PostPosted: 2003.05.02(Fri)14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think the reason that people think metallic reflectors are better is because when you LOOK at them with the lights on, they do have a brighter appearance. The reason for this is that when light hits it, it bounces off at a specific angle. With paint, the light is relfected in many different directions. With a metallic reflector, there are places where a lot of light are reflected towards, because of the calculated angle of reflection, and white paint there is a more spread out reflection of light. This is why the white paint always looks bright under lighting, but you have to tilt a hood with metallic reflectors to the right angle for the reflected light to go into your eyes. I hope this makes some sense to you. Metallic reflectors are nice for keeping the light all going in mostly one direction, but white paint does a pretty fair job of bouncing that light off, just not in such a focused direction. I don't think there is a huge difference when it comes to getting the light down into the tank. Just my 2 cents.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: