Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Real AND fake plants turning colors
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent_Embryo
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.17(Sun)1:17    Post subject: Real AND fake plants turning colors Reply with quote

hi. I searched for this, but couldn't find anything.

I just setup a 20l tank a week ago and have some java fern in it along with a plastic cabomba. I have a "stock" 20w fluorescent bulb in the tank. in the last two days one of my java ferns started turning like a browny-copper color. I thought maybe it was lacking something in the water, but the I noticed the tops of my plastic plant had turned the same color.

are they burning? the light is on 12 hours a day.... but it's only 20w. and none of the other java fern is doing it.
naclh2ofly
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.17(Sun)5:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably "brown" algae..... common in new set ups and low light set ups. You should be able to wipe most of it off. Oto cats will eat it as well.

Fred
Agent_Embryo
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.17(Sun)11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. I was afraid to touch it thinking my plants would fall apart. good to know that algae can grow in my tank. I was getting worried, but the levels are OK.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: