Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Puffer ID
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)18:55    Post subject: Puffer ID Reply with quote

I was planning on buying a dwarf puffer for my little tank and everything was ready and I got the fish today and it's doing great... Except... When I'm comparing it to pictures in the gallery it doesn't look like the dwarf puffers. It's completely white on it's lower half and sort of golden with circular black spots on it's top. The pattern is exactly the same as the green spotted puffer in the gallery which gets a lot bigger. (It's currently an 1" long)

Are there spotted variations of dwarf puffers? Or did I just get suckered into getting a fish that will quickly outgrow my tank?
T
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I went to puffernet and I have a positive ID as Tetraodon Nigroviridis or the "spotted green puffer" which grows 6-7" and is probably the most aggressive of the puffers.
McSamster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have checked this site first, and seen that they grow to around 3cm's. (1inch). So even if this was a Dwarf Puffer, it would be at a very late stage, and probably wouldn't have long left to live. Always research. Smile I sugguest you take the little one back.
T
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got him to flush out a budding colony of MTS, so... I think I'll probably keep 'I'm around for a month or two and give him to a store when he gets too big (unless I get attached to him, then I may have to set up a new tank). (There are some cool asian catfish I want to try keeping, this might be the perfect excuse to set up an asian biotope)
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: