Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Direct Lighting
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Widower
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)17:24    Post subject: Direct Lighting Reply with quote

Hey. I recently obtained a new tank at a jumble sale, it is only small, 10 gallons at the most. I have a hood for the tank, but there is no lighting cabnit. I have a bedside light that would fit perfectly on the lid! I can't explain how it would all go together. The light would be about 1inch maybe 2 inches above the water level, all the electronics will be outside of the lid, so they can't get wet. Is there any harm in having the light directly above the water?
Jeff J.
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got no problem... and my hood (lights inside) are directly above the water. Just watch and make sure the lights don't change your water temp. And if they do, counter-balance the light head with a fan.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.17(Sun)8:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your bedside light is a fluorescent I wouldn't do it. Incandescent lighting will heat up your tank exponentially and if you want to keep any live plants in there they won't grow well due to the wrong colour spectrum the incandescnents put out.
dan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.19(Tue)16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt recomend either it if its a incandescent not only may they heat your tank but if you accidentally splash or your fish do the bulb may shatter from the cool water hitting the hot bulb.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: