Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Blackout!!
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blondie33
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)11:17    Post subject: Blackout!! Reply with quote

I have a 10 gallon tank with no fish at the moment. Last week one of my sharks jumped ship - or disappeared somehow - never found him and the other seemingly died the next day of loneliness (if that's possible). Anyways, I have been keeping my tank running since then because we are going to get new fish. First question, with the blackouts we had (24 hours), is the tank still okay, or do I need to change everything and start fresh? I'm still pretty new at this, so I'm not sure.
Also, I made really bad choices with the first fish I had (due to bad advice by the LFS), so any suggestions what would be good for us would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much!
kdjoergensen
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water, bacterias etc are still fine after 24 hours without power. The problem would be fish not doing well without the filter and airstone going, but otherwise you should be OK.

The best advice is probably to add a few fish at a time only (gradually). Start with 2-3" of fish per 10 gallon of aquarium and then test your water a couple of times per week to see if you get ammonium and nitrite spikes. When both are zero you can add a few more fish. Do this gradually until you aquarium is stocked. Do not add too many fish too quickly.

Should ammonium/nitrite spike you can perform 30-50% water changes to bring down the levels. You can buy test kits of ammonium and nitrite in fish stores.

If you are going to have a mixed community aquarium (many types of fish) then add similar sized fish which are not fin nippers or otherwise aggressive.

This should give you a good experience.

Oh yes (from bad experience) : when cleaning your filter be careful not to destroy the bacterias which grow there as they are responsible for breaking down ammonium and nitrite.

My filter setup is an aquaClear300 filter with the sponge at the bottom third overlayered by 1" of woven polyester filter material (aka pillow stuffing) and then finally a meshbag with 1/2 cup of bioMax balls for biological stability. When I rinse the sponge which gets dirty I make sure the bioMax balls are left alone....
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that the first shark jumped out in an effort to get away from the water because there may have been something going wrong. You didn't mention how often and how much you did your water changes or if you had tested the water. You need to know this about your water:

pH
buffering capacity (a.k.a. KH or alkalinity)
ammonia
nitrite
nitrate

You can buy the tests yourself and do it or you can take a sample of your water to your fish store. If you do it this way, get the exact numbers because a lot of the time they will say, "your water's fine" or they might tell you one thing or another is "a little high" or "a little low" or something like that.

If I were in your situation I would first test the water. You might be in the process of cycling. Maybe if you tell us what your water chemistry is like, it can provide more of a clue as to what happened to your sharks.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: