Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
annubias turning yellow
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mollie Mommy
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)7:58    Post subject: annubias turning yellow Reply with quote

Hi everyone. Bought a large (15") annubias for my 10g hex tank last week at my LSF...it looked great, cost a bit. Rinsed it properly, anchored it above gravel with some lava rock. I'm not using CO2 set up, have an 8w flora-grow bulb that runs about 12 hours a day. Not using a substrate this time, had a mess with it on another tank, but there's about 2 inches of gravel. All my test readings were good before I added the plant & just added a betta. There's nothing else in there at this time, although I plan to add 6 fancy guppies next week. I picked the annubias because of it's size and low light growth ability (hex is a deep tank) and it's the only plant in the tank. Now my leaves are turning yellow & brown at the base and theres something white & fuzzy on a couple of stems. I cleaned that off, I think it was betta food that got moldy (he didn't like it, so I switched to flake). I used Flourish twice this week, in the amount recommended on the bottle. Any ideas? My LSF doesn't open for a couple of hours, but I'm guessing no refunds/exchanges Wink

MODERATOR EDIT: This additional information was posted as a new topic instead of a reply. It's being added here to help keep the original topic organized.

Quote:
Just re-tested my hex tank....pH 7.5, NO2 0.3, NO3 10ppm, NH3 0. Does this help?
MM

naclh2ofly
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mollie,
Which Anubis sp? Some Anubis require more light than others.... not to mention you don't even have 1wpg.

The yellowing is most likely due to a lack of iron. Check out this Site

Hope this helps
Fred
Mollie Mommy
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

anubias frazeri, according to the stick...calls for low to moderate light, with fert. I have a new bulb on backorder, hope to pick it up today when I go to the LSF....will get iron add. also! thanks
MM
minky
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.24(Sun)4:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mollie, I have a dwarf anubias anchored to drift wood. It too has shown some signs of yellowing on the leaves so I'm glad you posted this thread.

Thanks Nachlh for that link. Will get iron too! Very Happy
Happyface
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.24(Sun)12:26    Post subject: Yellow leaves on anubias Reply with quote

I just noticed that one leaf, and just one leaf, on one of my coffee leafs turned yellow. It's the leaf closest to the cannister intake and an airstone. I suspect that they hate fast water circulation.

Lee
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)8:23    Post subject: Re: Yellow leaves on anubias Reply with quote

Happyface wrote:
I suspect that they hate fast water circulation.

No, don't think so, these plants are found in water falls.
frazeri is not a low light anubias IME. They are a moderate light anubias.
You need anoter bulb. The other option would be to move the tank closer to a window. (Not in direct sunlight though or algae will take over)
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
Mollie Mommy
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.31(Sun)9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

My LSF suggested my tank was too new to support the plant, I.e. nutrients available; I had added my fishies the same day I added the annubias. Not sure I believed that, as I have done it this way with other tanks without any problems. My annubias kicked the bucket, so I added some water wisteria and a red hygro, and reduced some of the water movement. My lighting is still a problem though. Having a difficult time with getting proper wattage. Can't afford the retrofit kits to add extra bulbs, can't find a high watt bulb to fit existing fixtures! The hex tank takes a 13" T5 (I think; says F8T5). Going to try ordering some Aqua Rays. Is Flourish Excell the best fert for my plants? The growth rate in my 29g has slowed down, again due to lighting I think. Are there safe, trustworthy plant suppliers on the net? I think I need to look elsewhere for more variety, as the LSF is small, as is usually the case.

thanks, MM
revengeishere
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.31(Sun)18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm...anubias should be easy plants. I have 7 of afzellis in my tank,and I just stick the first 3 in, and they still grew, and new growths. I used the hood that came with the tank then.

But I already had my tank at approximately 2 watts per gallon now(1 wpg currently need to get rplacement bulbs) and laterite in my gravel.

They didn't rot, grew, althought I just replanted them today, so that the rhizome is showing a little bit now.

good luck anf hope your anubias will be better.
naclh2ofly
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.01(Mon)8:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mollie,
Flourish Excell is a CO2 supplement..... get Flourish Comprensive Plant Supplement or Flourish with Iron.

BTW Anubis sp must be planted with the rhizome above the substrate.

Try here for plants.

You will not be able to up the wattage unless you retrofit or DIY......
If you are interested in upgrading your lights try here. You can go with the 2x13 for 2.6wpg or 1x13 plus your current setup for 2.1wpg. Don't know how to configure it for a hex...... some one else may have some ideas though.

Other options. Check out the DIY & the Retrofit sections. The CF Nano with a 6700k 28 watt bulb would do nicely.

Fred
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: