Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
International Blackout, Filtration, and you.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garry26
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)5:33    Post subject: International Blackout, Filtration, and you. Reply with quote

Well with a 24hour blackout in NYC, other eastern states and Canada, I'm sure many people were left SOL w/o filtration.

My solution was to do three 20% water changes to my 37gal tank in the span of 24 hours. It worked! I didn't lose 1 fish.

What were your solutions? Did they work? Whats the best solution?

Keep in mind that we are not out of the water yet. They have said that the Power Grid might crash and that they might even have to initiate Rolling Blackouts like in California. So posting helpful ideas can still help people if theres a crash.

I hear Marcos is a fellow NYCer. How did you and your fish fair Marcos?
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)7:56    Post subject: battery powered air stones Reply with quote

I know that WalMart carries battery powered air pumps in the pet department, or maybe in the fishing section. I think that if you add air to the filter it will keep the bacteria alive, but I'd like to have a confirmation of that from someone wiser than me.
MrCloudzz
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.17(Sun)18:11    Post subject: dc to ac Reply with quote

hey gary I saw your other post about your hot tanks and I think you live near me, I am in greenpoint....anyway I used a 500 dc to ac power inverter to run all my tanks and my sisters 55gallon(just filters no lights or heaters) ...I used a 1/2 a tank of gas in the 24hrs the power was out...mostly because I slept in the car with the ac because it was too hot...the only problem I had was with the high temps in my tank 84-86..so I did a 10% water change on all the tanks with cold water....since I live in the most powerful country in the world and I can't count on my goverment to keep the juice flowing I ordered a 2000 watt inverter form ebay and will be making a diy power generator...
Nugget Tiger Royal Adonis Coffee
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 75gal tank got up to 86+. I did 2 5 gallon changes with colder water about -5 from the rest of the tank. I pour it about 4 inches from the waters top and pour with a little force. It was just enought to move some of the gravel. It did it where there was no fish. It broought the temp down about 2 degree's. A little extreme, but the fish were gasping. After that I didn't have any trouble. No loss, no ich, no loss of appiatie. Next day I was sure to feed them some good meat, brineshrimp and blood worms.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lucky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Toronto Canada and the only probs I seemed to have with my tank was a bacteria bloom that left the tank cloudy for maybe a day and a half. Didn' loose any fish, and the tank didn't get to hot as my apartment stayed pretty cool with all the windows and curtains closed to keep the cool air in (we normally run central air)
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: